RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing Rear Wheel Hub & Bearing - Find Tools & Advice -

I'm a DIY mechanic and tackle pretty much anything that comes my way. The thought of going to the dealer, with anything but a bumper to bumper warranty, makes me cringe.

I'm mid way through a real wheel hub and bearing replacement and there is very little info on this procedure.
I have pieced together shop manuals, other posts and general internet search to get most of the way through this repair.

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 10.32.54 AM.jpg
How do I get the bolt off that holds the top bushing (I think it's the upper ball joint,?) for the hub assembly to the a arm?
I plan on taking it to my local machine shop and have them press it out and press the new one in.
I can't get this bolt out. Ive taken all the pressure off it. it is not bound, rusted or seized.

(I've coated it in pb blaster and waited a day nothing. I believe I am missing something simple.)

I can't upload the photos I have of the hub assembly top bushing
Thanks in advance if anyone replies!

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/l322-b/rear_suspension/repairs/ball_joint_upper/

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/l322-b/rear_suspension/repairs/bearing(s)_hub/page_600/

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,132 Posts
Re: Replacing Rear Wheel Hub & Bearing - Find Tools & Advice

I had to cut mine off on both sides with a 3" cutting wheel. They rust solid to the inner sleeve of the upper bushing and won't come loose short of a thousand foot pounds of torque or so.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Re: Replacing Rear Wheel Hub & Bearing - Find Tools & Advice

My brother made up some sleeves for me but my puller system is predicated on the ability of not having the bolt in the way. If you cut off both sides i assume that the rubber could be chewed away with a drill bit until the centre was clear to put a threaded rod thru with the correct sized sleeve and then pull it through. It never dawned on me that the bolt may not come out but now that its mentioned,it of course makes perfect sense. Another one of those problems that leads my thoughts down a bad path. if you can do that with the hub in place it would be good to know. thx.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts