RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed up with non working lines of the rear hatch heated glass, so considering replacing the glass.
Anyone done this?
Can see the methodology in Rave but had anyone any first hand experience they can share?
Ie, pitfalls and trips?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
538 Posts
couldn't face it myself. On the one I needed i bought a good Complete rear hatch the correct colour and swapped the whole thing. Would your insurance cover a new window ;)

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Arn,t there any repair kits out there ?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The glass is glued in. A windscreen repair place should have all the gear to do it. Not a DIY job I think.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, can't repair the elements as they're embedded in the glass, and the hatch itself is in excellent condition to replace and there's no guarantee that a scrappers hatch would have all the element working.
Did wonder if the insurance would cover it if a big rock accidentally flew up and hit it? Not that I'd endorse something like that!
I can buy the glass new for £180, but the job looks fairly traumatic.

·
Registered
669 Posts
not a DIY to replace the glass --- let your fingers do the walking and find a local glass fitter - I've a neighbour that imports old VW's (mainly campers but latterly Karmann Ghias) from Europe and America and he had a front screen fitted on Friday to a camper, by a local lad 'white van man' - no signwriting, no contact numbers so he must get enough business

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I think I've resigned myself to buying the glass and getting a fitter to do it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here in the US, at least in the state I'm in, glass insurance is included as part of a basic insurance policy and there is no deductible. Here, well, in my case, lets just say that I'd come out in the morning and find that someone "broke" my back window, and let a glass company deal with it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
downside of committing fraud is that even with a comprehensive policy in the UK glass replacements may have a financial limit -- I think the heated front screen is only insured to £200 on my P38 PLUS whilst it may not affect your 'no claims' % it is very likely to affect a renewal premium ie 75% discount of £1000 or 75% of £1500 for example is still the same discount just the base figure changes (usually upwards :) ) due to 'recalculating the perceived risk' - a claim is a claim is a claim

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've just replaced mine, and it's not hard. Just time consuming.

I have no idea how much new glass is - I wouldn't even bother to find out.

Mine just shattered one night - it was not smashed - every piece of glass was intact in place, held in by the tint. I have no idea why.

I bought a second hand tailgate from a wrecker for $120.00.

Strip all the trim from both tailgates. Edge out the two side strips from the glass with a thin ruler or thin steel - do not grab them and pull off - they are aluminium and will distort and you won't be able to replace them without kinks.

With the new tailgate on the bench, cut out a bit of the old sealant, enough to push a link of a rope saw through. Get an assistant on one end and with you on the other, slowly cut through the sealant all the way around.

Junk the tailgate after you've stripped it of all the useful parts. Cut all the old sealer off the glass with a razor or Gem blade. Don't worry about the thin film of sealant left on the glass. The new sealer will stick to that superbly.

Clean up the original tailgate but don't remove the old sealant. Just cut a 5 - 6 mm layer off all the way around as you're removing all the old glass. The thick layer of sealant will now be about 5 - 6 mm shorter. Trim all the daggy bits of rubber up, clean everything and get ready.

Get some PU windscreen sealant - one tube will be plenty. You're gluing on to the old sealant strip.

Do a dry run and make sure the glass is centralised perfectly left to right or the hatch will not close!

Mark this position with tape or texta pen.

Glue a nice thick line of sealant all the way around - about as wide as the line already there (if it's the factory sealant). Go slowly and concentrate on making the line even. We used lots and there was plenty left in the tube.

Refit the top rubber seal to the top of the glass. It just pushes on.

Get your good mate, take a deep breath and manipulate the new glass in - each with one hand above and one below the glass. Do not let it drop down until it's aligned left to right with the mark you made. It sits on five or six locating tabs under the big bit of trim you removed at the start.

Drop it down and press down lightly on the glass all the way around. Don't push too hard and squeeze all the glue out.

Job done.

Best done on a sunny day so the heat of the sun can dry the glue. Otherwise run the car on HI heat with the rear demister on for half an hour to skin the glue then don't drive the car until the next day.

Clean up and refit the trim.

Voila - new glass for peanuts.

You could of course remove all the old sealer but I don't think that's necessary. If you do you would need at least two tubes of PU sealer I think.

Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ha im in Nz & broke mine backed into a tree branch stump . Unavailable new in nz quoted NZ$ 2500for 1 from uk plus $300 to fit but luckily found a used 1 in good nick from 1 that had engine fire & written off just had to paint it green to match all up cost $200 . Not sure who was trying to do the rip off glass merchant or the RR dealer here .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts