RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post on the site. My 2010 Rover Sport Supercharged began making a high pitched horn-sounding noise from the engine. The noise has gotten louder. It's louder when the car is warm. It's very loud for about 2-3 seconds after the engine is cut then quiet obviously.

I have an aftermarket warranty in US through CNA. Here is what the dealer is telling me:

Found 30 PSI vacuum from PCV system likely cause is a clog in the PCV system. Unable to 100% verify without teardown. Estimate for teardown and reassembly is $4,668.12. Teardown will include removing valve covers, supercharger, fuel injectors and throttle body in order to properly diagnose."

So they are not even sure. Replacing a PCV valve on this car cannot be that much. Is there a mechanic on here that can give me the straight scoop?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
I had the same exact thing happen to my 2010 Sport SC a couple of months ago. Never happened when you would first start it in the morning but after a couple minutes of driving it started to become really noticeable. The total at the dealership to replace it was $1,463, so I'm not sure why they're quoting you that much. Heres a short video of the sound I had when I shut my car off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3gxQNBm71g

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds like they're giving you a price based on the assumption that they're going to have to tear apart EVERYTHING to search for the issue. If they can narrow it down to the PCV or its hoses you should be significantly closer to the above price, depending on labor rates in your area.

I would ask the dealer or mechanic you're dealing with to give you an estimate for the PCV replacement alone and start with that..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts