RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 06 RRS SC i've been getting the following codes of P2096, P2098 and P2135 after i replaced the O2 sensors. I know for a fact if i were to floor it, it would go into limp home mode and the "reduced engine performance' prompt will show. I know that P2135 pertains to the throttle position and i have no clue on what is causing these problems at this point.

·
Registered
844 Posts
from a quick search--

How do I fix code p2098?
Error Code P2098 is defined as Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2, a problem usually caused by issues in the catalytic converter or by an exhaust leak.

P2135

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2135

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from a quick search--

How do I fix code p2098?
Error Code P2098 is defined as Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2, a problem usually caused by issues in the catalytic converter or by an exhaust leak.

P2135

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2135

I know that much I got these codes from Autozone. Who else has had this problem?

·
Registered
133 Posts
With an ‘06, you should’ve replaced both cats by now. Just replacing the sensors is not enough. Any LR tech or indy shop will tell you the same thing. You need to replace both cats and all four sensors. Be carful removing the bolts from the manifolds because they can snap, soak them in antiseize for a few hours before removing.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Had a P2098 on my daughters 2002 BMW X5 3.0.. Chased it around for 2 years with new O2 sensors and fixing vacuum leaks. Then last summer I put in a can of Duralube cat cleaner and a few days later the CEL went out. At least two years I could not get rid of that code. Was it the duralube? I don't know but the code has not returned.

Probably worth a try.

PS; I ran and bought another can and poured in my Range Rover because sometimes lurking in the background was cat below efficiency bank two which had had the cat replaced a couple of years earlier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a P2098 on my daughters 2002 BMW X5 3.0.. Chased it around for 2 years with new O2 sensors and fixing vacuum leaks. Then last summer I put in a can of Duralube cat cleaner and a few days later the CEL went out. At least two years I could not get rid of that code. Was it the duralube? I don't know but the code has not returned.

Probably worth a try.

PS; I ran and bought another can and poured in my Range Rover because sometimes lurking in the background was cat below efficiency bank two which had had the cat replaced a couple of years earlier.
Where can I find some duralube in stores? At this point i wanna try everything possible before either cleaning or replacing my cats seeing that I don't have time and don't want to pay someone else to do it

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE Lux
29 Posts
Hey everyone - new to this forum and new to RR ownership. CEL came on today and I got this P2098 code with a SyncUp drive I have from T-Mobile. I’ve noticed a gas smell even when the car is off, and exhaust seems fine. Car was serviced almost exclusively by a local LR dealership and I’ve made an appointment but I can’t get in until next weekend. Is it ok if I still drive it, or will it cause damage? Sorry if this is a dumb question - you all seem advanced in your knowledge of these.

I already had an issue THE DAY I bought it where a plastic housing related to coolant cracked and I broke down and the dealer I bought it from (NOT a LR dealer - ouch) had to come pick it up. I’m terrified I have a lemon! It’s my first RR and I love it, I’m just wishing I knew how to work on cars!

·
Registered
844 Posts
IMO, it is OK to drive it with that code. My daughter's 2002 BMW X5 P0298 came back a few months ago and I gave up trying to get rid of it. She has been driving it with no noticeable problems except a constantly lit CEL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IMO, it is OK to drive it with that code. My daughter's 2002 BMW X5 P0298 came back a few months ago and I gave up trying to get rid of it. She has been driving it with no noticeable problems except a constantly lit CEL.
Thanks for sharing. So bizarre it just turned off yesterday 🤷🏽‍♀️

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay so...latest development. Now the P2098 code is back and P0306 and P0316 have decided to join the party. Ugh.

We drove the car for a little over 4 hours round trip to Orlando to pick the cargo cover up (ran fine, although I thought it was idling a bit roughly), parked it, I took it around back to our alley to clean the wheels and when I went to move it back the CEL was back on and these were the codes that came up. P0306 says it is high risk and to not drive the vehicle if the light is flashing (it isn't).

Interesting thing is we filled the gas tank at the same station we had previously when the light came on. We tried different gas after the CEL was on the first time and it turned off. Octane is 93 at both stations, one is Shell (bad) and the other Wawa (good).

I'm at a loss here. Anyone?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looks like P0306 is a misfire code. Try clearing the codes and see if it come back. Crummy gas might cause misfires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like P0306 is a misfire code. Try clearing the codes and see if it come back. Crummy gas might cause misfires.
By clear the codes do you mean to disconnect the battery for a bit? Sorry, I'm so new to this....

·
Registered
133 Posts
By clear the codes do you mean to disconnect the battery for a bit? Sorry, I'm so new to this....
What year truck do you have? I saw in another thread that it’s not the earlier models. Which is what this post originally answered.

If you plan on owning it for a while you should get a code reader - a diagnostic tool that plugs into the OBD2 port. It’s the most efficient way to diagnose and clear codes.

Depending on mileage, typically 100-120k, the solution for this code is often catalytic converter and O2 sensor replacement - both cats and all four sensors.

If the code keeps returning after clearing, it is most likely what I said. It will continue to come and go. You gas mileage will also suffer because the computer is compensating for an emissions problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
What year truck do you have? I saw in another thread that it’s not the earlier models. Which is what this post originally answered.

If you plan on owning it for a while you should get a code reader - a diagnostic tool that plugs into the OBD2 port. It’s the most efficient way to diagnose and clear codes.

Depending on mileage, typically 100-120k, the solution for this code is often catalytic converter and O2 sensor replacement - both cats and all four sensors.

If the code keeps returning after clearing, it is most likely what I said. It will continue to come and go. You gas mileage will also suffer because the computer is compensating for an emissions problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi - I have a 2012 RRS HSE Lux with 117k miles and I do have a SyncUp drive that will give me the codes. I just don't necessarily want to be blindsided at the dealership when I take it in for service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts