Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I haven't seen tips on replacing motor mounts I'll post my own.
There are three motor mounts total on the 93 RRC:
1) Two in the engine bay
2) One on the transmission

Just got the transmission done, here is how I did it:
1) Jacked the right side of the vehicle up and put it on two jack stands - front & back.
2) Undid the transmission motor mounts fasteners.
3) Placed floor jack under the transmission and transferred the weight of the transmission to the floor jack.
4) Undid the three fasteners holding the mount bracket to the frame.
5) At this point you can pull the bracket off and wrestle the mount out.
6) Reassembly is exactly the opposite.

Suggestion: wear safety goggle as you will be working under the assembly and crud will come down. Since I didn't know I have to take the bracket off, it took me longer than it should have. I guess that if one follows the above procedure it shoudln't take more than 1.5 hours.

Next the engine mounts...

And for the record, they aren't "motor mounts" they are "engine mounts". Them Britons got to get their English together ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took a look at the motor mounts last night and am looking for suggestions. I am not sure if the correct procedure is to remove the brackets when doing the mounts. Seems like they are made to be removed from below. The bracket mating to the engine block has two fasteners from below and one from above. The fastener from above is pretty difficult to get at, especially on the left mount.

Any suggestions from the group?

For the record: I have two copies of RAVE but neither have a recommended mount replacement procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I did both the front motor mounts today. Overall, it was an easier experience than the transmission mount.
Here is how I did it:
1) Removed the fan shroud fasteners as the fan comes up with the motor, and disconnected the batter for safety.
2) Used the original RRC bottle jack with a few inches of wood step underneath the jack, and a single 2" hardwood piece between the jack and the bottom of the oil reservoir.
3) From under the vehicle, I undid the motor mount fasteners. The only fastener that is a bit difficult to access is the top fastener on the left mount.
4) Started jacking the motor up using the bottle jack. Every centimeter or so of height I stopped and checked from above that everything is ok.
5) After a while, the mounts can be wiggled out of place.
6) Wiggle the new mounts into place. I found that a short bar made it easier to manipulate the engine that extra bit to allow putting the mounts in place.
7) Once the mounts were in place, I lowered the engine down a bit at a time to make sure it settled down corrected.
8) Installed the washers and nuts on the mounts.
9) Reinstalled the fan shroud and reconnected the battery.

Not too difficult.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top