Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm,

It's starting to get a bit chill here in the Mojave desert. It was down to 58F this morning and I had to put on a light jacket cuz I have no heater in the RRC.

Some crackhead spawn of Satan "engineer" elected to put plastic pipes just behind the engine in an inaccessible place to make heater connections. And of course I was stupid enough to break them trying to remove a split hose. :oops:

So after two years of no heater I'm thinking of buying an aluminum replacement offered by an aftermarket outfit.

Anybody replaced this bloody thing? Is there an easy way to do it or do I have to take the engine out? Can you or will you offer some suggestions, I can't see nothing but metal behind the radio. I really don't want to pull out the dash.... 8-0=

Thanx, Steve in las Vegas

·
Registered
159 Posts
Assuming you have a hard dash classic, then the heater unit with the core are removed from the inside. It seems like you've already done the difficult bit of disconnecting the hoses behind the engine. To remove the heater, IIRC, it's.....

facia vents out to allow access facia screws to remove part of facia
remove steering wheel shroud
remove heater control panel and switch panel in centre console
remove lower facia on passenger side
remove radio and surrounding plastic bits
remove gear lever surround on transmission tunnel (it might no look like this needs to be removed, but I couldn't wriggle the heater out with this in place)
remove cubby box.

Be very careful with all the plastic clips and stuff as they're likely to be brittle. The plastic Land Rover used doesn't stick back together well with Superglue

By now, your Rangie will look a bit like the attached pictures. Unbolt the heater and there's side panel you can unscrew where the matrix slots in. Early Discoverys had the same matrix if that make getting the part easier.

Assembly is the reverse of dis-assembly except that you'll swear in different places.

It's not a technically difficult job, just fiddly and you keep thinking that there surely can;t be much more to unscrew before getting the bl00dy thing out!

Attachments

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
There are also step by step instructions on the Atlantic British site. Unfortunately I don;t remember what years they cover, but the concept and pictures will still be a terrific guide.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx guys. Without yet referencing any of the precious links I have enough to affirm it's the job I thought it to be.

Since we rarely need a demister, Where's that woolly `)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also an additional note on removing heater hoses, remove 6mm bolts from plenum cover and flip it out of the way, no need to disconnect lincage but vaccume lines will have to come off. I use golf balls to cover stacks to avoid droping anything into engine. This makes hose removeal easy. Also if you can buy used heater box with good core this will save you from completely disassembling box to get to core. Make sure motor is running well also, shoot it with elec cleaner while it's out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts