RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pondering doing the headliner myself? Is it more trouble than it's worth, or should I just take it to an upholstery shop to replace? Tips and tricks appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've currently got the headliner out of my range rover due to the cloth separating from the backing board. I tried a localised repair/re-stick which failed miserably! So this weekend I will be buying a new material and replacing the entire headliner.

Hopefully, successful photo's will follow.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
would be fantastic - sick of rear passengens complaining about lack of headroom due to sagging headliner - I put in a cargo barrier just to hold it up ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine was good and sag free but lately started to sag at the rear. I found out why:

A badly installed car phone aerial!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I took mine out real easily. Take off the visors, hand grips and those little buttons and it drops down coming out the rear tailgate. I used to work next to an auto apolstry shop and would go over and watch. The 3M spray adhesive is what they would use for everything. I think some is different grades like for flexibilty or adhesion strength if you need to repair. Replacing it with another is cake though just a bunch of screws and dont bend it getting it in and out. Mine sags alittle behind the sunroof. Im putting a little wood block attached with sticky back velcro tabs in the middle between the roof and headliner to support it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK, pictures! I retrimmed the headliner last night and fitted in to the car this afternoon. No fitted picture today as it was too dark by the time I had finished. I will take one tomorrow. Anyway:
The old and new material. It looks WAY off but trust me, it isnt. I also didnt appreciate how dirty my old headliner was!

Sunroof - old. I had restuck this a couple of years back.

New:

The headliner backing board showing the foam still stuck to it in places

My Removal method!

Board ready for material:

Sizing up:

Some in-progress and finished pics:

·
Registered
665 Posts
3M spray 77 is a good glue for it. I used some $3 a yard sweatpants material form walmart to do my BMW few years ago, turned out great

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks a great job! You have given me the nudge to try and do mine! (Also sagging at rear Also due to dodgy car phone aerial!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great job with the pics!

This isnt a difficult job. I think the average car guy could do this relatively easy. The hardest part, in my opinion, was pulling the actual headliner out the rear of the truck. Other than that, just take your time and dont try to be creative saving a dollar with shortcuts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Great pics very good job,i also need to do this on my LSE which has just started sagging at the rear(NO PHONE AERIAL FITTED IN ROOF !)and i am slowly sorting my 1988 3.5efi which the whole thing has sagged!!!.My question is where do you/can you get the headlining fabric from?.
Thanks valveboy

·
Registered
170 Posts
valveboy said:
Hi Great pics very good job,i also need to do this on my LSE which has just started sagging at the rear(NO PHONE AERIAL FITTED IN ROOF !)and i am slowly sorting my 1988 3.5efi which the whole thing has sagged!!!.My question is where do you/can you get the headlining fabric from?.
Thanks valveboy
Hi Valveboy,

Apologies for not replying sooner.

My material came from a local shop called Woolies trim. they have a website: http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ and the headlining is in the subsection: http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-93-brushed-nylon.aspx

I used a spray glue as per their advice. The glue in a tin is great for the backing board but can easily soak through the material if too enthusiastically applied. http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1554-hi ... esive.aspx

Total was £42 or thereabouts. And that left me with about half a metre spare and was for an LSE so I dare say a normal length classic will be slightly cheaper. :D

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Roo
Have checked out WOOLIES Website very good site,one more question what colour did you go for the Dove Gray or Empire Gray or is it limestone? its difficult to work out the nearist to original?. :?
Thanks Valveboy

·
Registered
170 Posts
valveboy said:
Hi Roo
Have checked out WOOLIES Website very good site,one more question what colour did you go for the Dove Gray or Empire Gray or is it limestone? its difficult to work out the nearist to original?. :?
Thanks Valveboy
I went for empire grey. There is a touch of beige in the original headlining which must be unique to Range Rovers. The camera really does lie in this case, now its fitted the colour difference is hardly noticeable. :D

BTW, its £6.50 a metre + VAT with the glue being 6.81 ea + VAT. I used two cans although I was running very low by the end!

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
I just did mine also. It was not difficult. Pull the old stuff off. Get a pot srubber (the metal fillings type, not steel wool) and got all the old foam off. At the recommendation of the upholsterer, I used contact adhesive. They did not recommend using spray adhesive. The back turned out all right. I don't think I got the best material though. It did not want to stretch at all and all the dips, etc around the sunvisor turned out a bit wrinkly. This is also because I di not let the contact adhesive try long enough before butting the liner on and it stuck way too fast, which meant that I could not pull it back off to reposition where I needed too. But all up including glue, etc, it cost me about $35 US to do and it looks a lot better than the old sagging liner.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The material is supplied at 54" wide. For my Range Rover LSE I bought 3.5 metres. That gave me enough to do the sunroof and headlining with a few inches to spare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts