RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all. I've seen posts on this before. My skidplate is quite corroded and needs replacing. However, my dealership says my fuel strap/cradle needs replacing. I know this is may seem to be a silly question, but are they one and the same? Question 2: is this a job I can do myself or should I take it to the dealership? They quoted me $1,000. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, just read your post and I replaced mine a few months back. I got a used one on eBay in really good shape for 100.
Be careful taking it down I had no idea that this holds up your tank. My was all corroded in the middle so I was able to support it by breaking away the rotted center and then using a couple of jack stands with wood. Removed the perimeter bolts and the rest of the plate. Now in installing the new one I had to get huge strap ties in 3 locations to support it while I got the bolts mostly tightened up then cut the straps out and tighten the bolts the rest of the way. Pretty tricky you have to be resourceful and able to possibly bend the new one if it doesn’t line up perfectly it just takes time. Hope this helps you. Also I forgot to mention you have to get the straps around the frame and around the tank. And I suggest to do it with an almost empty tank.
Wish I had someone to tell me before I did mine all the details instead of finding out the hard way

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
23 gallons x approx 8 lbs / gallon ------->>>> logic would dictate to have the tank as empty as possible!

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Aeljr52! Great feedback! When I got under my vehicle, I just saw the cradle, which is corroded in the middle just like yours was. I didn't see any fuel tank "straps" or "bands" to speak of. So, when I take off the "cradle", I need to have the fuel tank secured, because there's nothing else supporting it, correct? Mine is a 2010 RRS HSE. I just want to make sure that I have all the parts I need to order before I start this project. And it's hard to find diagrams on the web. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
517 Posts
Had exact same issue... ran the gas down to 30 miles to empty, used rope at one end where the filler pipe came into the tank to the frame and a 2x2 at rhe other end with rope. That was enough to keep the tank in place while I swapped out the new cradle. Got mine for $187 4 years ago. I also drilled a few additional holes to let the water drain.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Yea that cradle design is a joke. I manages to capture every last possible extra bit of silt sand and grime into the JellO mold shape with no real drains. I've replaced two of them even though I swore I would do another after the first. :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have to crib up to the tank with jack stands and wood to support the tank where you removed the corroded section from the belly of the skid plate once you do that you can remove the perimeter bolts and remove the rest of the plate. Now you have to use these plastic zip ties that are about 3 ft long if you need to you can put two together to make the distance around the frame above and the tank. I used six of these ties in 3 locations middle and both ends, the reason I used these ties so I could easily cut them once I got all of the bolts started on the new plate. Mine was so corroded I was lucky the tank didn’t fall out when I was driving and never had it on the beach or anything else I guess water just gets trapped in there no way to drain one drain hole in the middle wasn’t enough

1 - 7 of 7 Posts