1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to this site, so here goes. :)

I'm trying to replace the factory ICE/Head Unit in my 93 RR LSE/LWB as its snapping tapes and the Radio reception is really poor, I have a new Alpine iDA head unit as this was shallower than the other units and space in the aperture for the radio is tight.

I have two ISO connectors a Blue and a Pink one, one for Power, one for Speaker Signals.

To avoid cutting the loom, I've used a converter lead for the Pink Connector as its 10 Pin and the standard ISO is 8 Pin, the lead is configured correctly for the standard speaker connections (apart from the Subwoofer, see below)

The Pink one has a screened cable that runs from the front of the car to the rear, where the Subwoofer and Power Amp are. The screened cable has 10 cores, 5 black, 1 Red, Blue, Green and Red and a Red/Yellow. The Blue, Red, Yellow and Green are Front and Rear respectively but I don't know what the Red/Yellow does or how to connect it to the new Head Unit, I've taken the top off the old Clarion unit and the Red/Yellow is Sub +

The problem I have is the unit powers up fine but I get no sound from any speaker, I'd expect the Front and Rears to work, but I'm getting nothing.

Anyone help? Had any experience or success?

·
Registered
34 Posts
start fresh with the speaker wires, pull the factory amps outs and then buy a new amp for the sub (you won't need anything huge. 100W max) The stock amps probably put out less power than the alpine head unit does so you'll actually be decreasing the power to the speakers by trying to keep the amps.

P.S. did you say it was eating your tapes??? They still exist?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi GD,

Thanks for your response, I wanted to keep the car as standard as possible to retain originality as these cars are slowly becoming classics.

I'm going to get the old Head Unit repaired but in the meantime I wanted something I could use an Ipod with.

Anyone else???? I can't believe nobody has done this before.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
150 Posts
journeyman, I have not done what you are trying to do. I have read about a lot of people trying to change out the head unit and finding the depth of the newer head units not working in the space. Many people who have redone the head unit end up rewiring the speakers and amps. I guess it is easier and the results are much better.

If you have the Rave CD go to the Eletronic Troubleshooting Section -> Curcuits->E6 (except Japan) for a detailed schematics on the radio, speakers, subwoofer and amp. Even though your model year is 1993 this should give you some of the information you need. Also look at http://www.roverville.us/ for more infomation on repair of your old head unit.

Parker
1993 Plymouth Blue LWB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts