RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I purchased this 2010 RRS, non SC, a couple of months ago. 1 week after buying, noticed a strong gas smell. Found out it was the fuel filter, pulled the tank and replaced it. Next was checking air filters... one missing.. replaced both with K&N filters(will probably clean the throttle body). Oil leak up front was traced to the vacuum pump, replaced both rubber rings.. problem solved.
NOW, comes the biggie... the dash material has lifted away from the dash and has shrunk. I have searched the forum on clues to get the dash off, not much help. I purchased the workshop manual for the vehicle and seem to be at a standoff with it. Has anyone taken one off? I currently have the instrument cluster out, both side panels, NAV and upper glove box insert. I will try to post some pics of progress so far..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I'm finding is that everything IN FRONT of the dashboard has to come off.. it does not lift up, but pulls out first.. now to remove center console..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2651.JPG IMG_2664.JPG

Since it was so easy to get to, thought I'd replace the cabin filter...

Did not have to pull the steering wheel or facia around it. Had to remove all the screws and bolts for the reinforcements but left the drivers side on. Could have left glove box on, but, had to get to that cabin filter..lol.
Also left the gear selector intact, did need to remove the center console though.

Now to find someone to reupholster the darn thing.. it's leather which is why it was curling up, po did nothing to keep it pliable. He did drink a lot of coffee though, and a lot found its way among the wiring looms under the console.

·
Registered
231 Posts
All that work just to replace the cabin filter...I'll pass...`)
Great Pictures...Thanks for posting them!
This will definitely help someone in the future.

If possible can you take a picture/post it here (if you haven't already) of the other side of this
dashboard to reveal and show where all the mounting point are on this, especially the ones
that are kinda hidden. Thx!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I kid I kid....see the emoji...just think if land rover billed 4hours just to switch out the cabin filter...that would just be unheard of for a dealership to do:roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arby, I looked at the heater core possibility, and that's as far as I got.. You're, right, the majority of the work has been done, but I think I've had it with this project, and as they say, it'll be easier next time.
So, Rovercharged, the only "hidden" mounting points are the tabs from the dashboard that slide into the metal frame, I'll post both the dash prongs and metal frame where they go. Roverlandpartrs has a great picture of the dash as well. The prongs are about 2 inches long, so that's how far it needs to slide forward to remove, that's why removing the steering wheel and both left and right reinforcements are not completely necessary, just enough to allow the dashboard to pull forward the 2 or so inches.
I had as a back up replacement, the dash at Roverlandparts, @$659, as I undertook my next disassembly... The upper dashboard is technically 3 separate pieces. 1) the cowl above the instrument cluster 2) the upholstered part of the dash and 3) the duct framework for defrost and side vents. Those are attached with 11 screws and then glued/melted together. I was able to separate all three pieces without breaking anything, but I did use a soldering iron to un-melt the cowl. the other I used a utility knife to separate. When I first called around to get prices for reupholstering the dash, it was close to $1000.00. The guy knew it was a RR though. That's when I pulled it apart and just took the upholstered part and was told $125.00. Leather will be $70.00 so for under $200.00, new leather dash.. minus labor of course..I will use epoxy to glue the pieces back together. Enjoy the pics! IMG_2689.JPG IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2696.JPG IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2707.JPG IMG_2710.JPG IMG_2713.JPG IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2718.JPG IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2721.JPG

·
Registered
231 Posts
Calirvr - Thank you - Excellent pictures and information. Looks like these 2 inch tabs all have an accompanying torx bolt
beside them as well. Hardest to see/get to would be the one under the top center speaker.
It's great to be able to break the whole dash down to just the components, nice work.
I hear you about how a price escalates when someone knows what type of car you drive.
Detailing job quote for my rover (after I told them it was a range rover) was much higher than a larger Explosion same color....
Thanks again for posting these pics up, it's hard enough to take it apart stop/take a picture - continue -stop/a take picture etc.....
Also adding another project (heater core) to your already in-depth project is always hard to do...but
The heater core is a pain with the dash intact - food for thought - but at least if you need to remove some of the dash again
it will go much faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts