RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my rear trailing arm bushes and the manual says to raise the car on a four-post lift and depressurise air bags. My car is on coils so I can't depressurise the air bags and I don't have a four-post lift. Would it be alright to raise the chassis up, support it on some jack-stands and then remove one trailing arm, get old bush out and press new one in, re-install and then do the same on the other side? Do i need to worry about the coil springs still being in?

I've found lots of videos on doing the front radius arms but none on the trailing arms. What I don't understand is why the manual says to raise the car up on a four-post lift for the rear trailing arms but says nothing other than "support the axle" for the front radius arms? Don't they serve similar purposes and have similar risks if you remove them?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wouldn't do that. I'd loosen the nut on the bottom of the shock absorber then jack the chassis to the point where the spring is unseated before tackling the arm.
That would take the spring out of the equation as a source of stored energy and potential mischief resulting in flying bits and bloodshed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
its only on a lift for convenience, chock front wheels front and back so it will not move . you can undo the arms and work on them, if you want clearance then jack up and put something under the wheels (not the frame) and chock them front and back as well. remove one at a time or both . the spring will not move unless you push pull on the axle.
PS if you are concerned it will move them tie the axle front and rear so it doesn't move .

·
Registered
771 Posts
One thing with doing these bushes, is the special tool needed, it squeezes as there pushed in, if you fitting poly bushes then it’s not needed, it’s quite expensive, but something that can be sold on afterwards, there not something your be changing ever few years.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you have access to a lathe the "bush squeezer" is fairly easy to make. Did one as part of the front radius arm bushing fitting kit I made after discovering that the Laser Tools set doesn't actually fit a P38 despite what it says on the label. My squeezer has about 1/2" of approximately 6° taper between 1/4" deep parallel sections at top and bottom. One parallel section accepts the uncompressed bush the other is about 5 thou smaller than the hole in the arm to ensure the squeezed bush will enter cleanly.

When I come to do the rear ones I shall make another squeezer to suit them as I shall be able to get the sizes off new bush and arm.

Really need do a final update on the bush kit drawings and find somewhere to host them.

Clive

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mind showing a diagram with dimensions?

·
Registered
230 Posts
kapilamuni

Send me a private message with your E-Mail and I'll shoot PDF copies of the drawings for the front bush tool kit "as is" along with an application note over to you. Drawings are for if someone wanted to pay me enough to make a complete kit from scratch. I already had an import, general purpose, bush insertion kit and was able to rob some parts from that that so only made what I needed. Hence some parts haven't been application checked as drawn. Should be OK but can't guarantee there are no errors on drawings. The important stuff like the squeeze bush and tubes are right tho'.

Clive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts