RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got all my brake pads in a few days ago ($120) and put the fronts on tonight. I didn't order new wear sensors because, well, I was just going to splice them to shut up that **** idiot light/incessant dinging noise thing that happens when they are triggered. So I took the front sensor off and checked it out:

Cleaned it up:

At this point I figured wtf, why not try to repair it so I can reinsert and it'll function again when the pads wear down. A little solder:

A little epoxy:

A little reinstallation:

The infernal warning ding is gone and with any luck the sensor will give me a shout when I'm running low. My $60 front brake pads and 40Kmi original rotors seem to work just fine, too. Comments welcome, just don't call me cheap. It's *value oriented*, mmmk? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Nice Drevs! And you saved your forearm and wrist from being permanently scarred by not having to reach up under the wheel well liner to unplug the sensor. An especially nice solder of the coronal surface of that sensor as well. And for those looking to bling up the sensor a bit I suppose you could use some gold amalgam.

Unless the '06's just different, the sensor on the Brembo is very different from the stock brakes. I'm not sure a tripped sensor is similarly repairable on the HSE version.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Will solder and epoxy stand up to the heat generated during heavy braking?

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I didn't trigger the rear sensor yet, so I don't know what it looks like. I took the rear pads out and there was still plenty of meat left on them... I decided to use them up a bit more before replacing them. I need to wiggle that rear sensor outta there though, so I don't have to do a repair on it too when those pads wear down further.

p38arover said:
Will solder and epoxy stand up to the heat generated during heavy braking?
I guess we'll find out eh? :)

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have 14 miles on the new front pads. They're fine, braking power is good, but not as grabby as the factory pads. I think they need more time to bed-in before I'll get an accurate feel for them. So far, so good. I got them from Atlantic British. The were 59 bucks for the front pads (4 total). Just look for the least expensive ones :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently replaced the pads and sensors on my 2008 RR Sport. All went well for a week, then my check pad message appreared again. Any advice out there?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been running with the sensors soldered together on our '06 HSE and tucked away from the pads. Been this way since around February with no problems. I regularly check things, so I'm not concerned about the pad thickness. There doesn't seem to be a need to replace sensors unless you don't plan to check brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I just removed the sensor from the pad and wired tied up in in the corner. Don't have to worry about that dang thing going off or being replaced. I check my brakes and other stuff regularly anyway.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
I just removed the sensor from the pad and wired tied up in in the corner. Don't have to worry about that dang thing going off or being replaced. I check my brakes and other stuff regularly anyway.
It's a $20 item...hardly seems worthwhile to disable it when we spend a LOT more on the surrounding parts and maintenance...in my humble opinion.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'm not sure its a cost thing. Removing that front sensor plug inside the wheel well lining is like trying to give a cat with claws a bath.

I do admire the jewel-like solder/epoxy job done on that sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Its not a cost thing - just a royal PITA to change if it does go off. I inpsect my pads/ rotors and other mechanicals regularly to not really need this - would be another pita if i had to change it because i broke it while trying to change the pads. I just like to "Nip n Tuck" things that hang

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Its not a cost thing - just a royal PITA to change if it does go off. I inpsect my pads/ rotors and other mechanicals regularly to not really need this - would be another pita if i had to change it because i broke it while trying to change the pads. I just like to "Nip n Tuck" things that hang

I hear you...no worries, especially when one does inspect it regularly.

Off on another GRAND Adventure soon here - it's going to be a good one!!! More details soon...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Drevs said:
PJPR01 said:
It's a $20 item...
Exactly. We're not all rich international globetrotters like you, buddy! :wink:
Whatch you talking about Willis! :eek:

Missed you on my last trip to Scottsdale in October...had sent a couple of emails, but I guess you were out of town! I should have called by phone, but got caught up in other festivities. Didn't have the RRS with me...just came in on the corporate jet (aka...Southwest Airlines)

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PJPR01 said:
had sent a couple of emails, but I guess you were out of town!
Yeah, I was probably wine tasting in Bordeaux or something. We need to get you my correct email...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Why email? Guys are dropping by his place unnanounced all the time...

[youtube:315b7pfm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HaoKjNo6HE&feature=related[/youtube:315b7pfm]

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
Hi Guys, I have RRS 2010, I have just changed the front and rear pads. Whilst doing the front I managed to break the pad sensor. I have purchased a new sensor for the front and back (just to be sure) question is, I cant see where i plug the new sensor in? thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts