RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover P38A
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this - a great quarantine project. One can remove the entire blend motor harness and three motors, and install new, without removing the dash and without cutting the duct in half. This was a good reference:

But, one can undo the blend motors by using a small ratchet bit driver. You take out the ducts connecting the outer vents, and bend the upper duct out of the way and jam something in to hold them away from the blend motors. First of course, remove the glove box, and on the driver side (NAS) remove the instrument cluster and the bracket that holds it nearest the left blend motor. Remove all center console items and loosen the bracketry where the sires come down so you can pry apart the cross bracket and get the harness removed and installed. Nearly impossible to get one of the screws back in for the lower right blend motor, so for this I drilled a hole through the duct at exactly the right spot and simply patched that with gorilla tape.

For the o-rings, you can undo the screw holding the clamp with a long screwdriver from the front. Under the hood, you can yank back the hoses to make room. To clear the coolant, I used a small catch cup and gradually drained the fluid by pulling out the lower hose slightly. Clean up, install new o-rings and sinch back down without even dislodging your log screwdriver on the retaining screw.

It took a LONG time, I think 8 hours. But, it can be done and you've got fresh blend motors and everything works right. Replace the heat tube sensor while you're in there and check out/seal up your duct joint with gorilla tape.

cheers to heat on both sides!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and remove the airbag unit (disconnect battery before unplugging the connector or unplugging the instrument cluster. 12-pt works fine on the airbag bolts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more thing - you'll need a long posidriv bit (#2 I think) that you can cut down with a dremel to the right length to be able to unscrew the blend motor screws with the bit ratchet wrench.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,405 Posts
I didn't cut the ducts on mine, either.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I did o rings last year using the shortcut/ tactical drill hole in the ABS of the dash, was a complete pita... Having removed the dash more recently to get at the heater unit/ blend motors I'm pretty convinced it's better to just go dash-off from the outset - certainly if you need to mess with/ test the blend motors, less so for just the o rings

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
155 Posts
Having done it twice now, I'd take out the dash and do a number of jobs in there. Once you've got the glovebox out, the instrument binnacle and the central panel, taking out the dash is pretty fast from there.

This gives you excellent access to the heater o-rings, all three blend motors and the blower motors.

I'd take out the blowers and replace the power transistors in each one. They short out, making the blowers run at full speed. I'd also replace the heater pipe temp sensor while in there, but that one you can get from underneath.

The most fiddly and awkward part of the whole job is getting the glove box out and back in lined up correctly. Follow the instructions in the sticky.

Tom

·
Registered
527 Posts
+1 on taking the dash out. 8 hours is plenty of time to remove dash, clean everything, replace the blend motors, sort bad earths, and check & replace o-rings if necessary !!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,405 Posts
Yes, pulling the dash isn't as bad as one might think. I did mine to replace the dash top and the heater core. I put in new blend motors at the same time.

See Heater Core Replacement (pray for me)

Unfortunately, I had to do it again immediately after as the brand new heater core from the dealer had a hole punched in it. :( To add insult to injury, one of the new blend motors failed shortly after.

BTW: Despite the flag on my avatar being a Canadian flag, I'm in Australia. Close but no cigar. It could have been worse, it could have been a Pommy or US flag! :)
EDIT: The flag problem was because I was using a VPN connected in Vancouver. :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts