RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing my HSE speedometer with a speedometer from a S/C. I like the look of the red needles better than the white needles. I have a 2006 RRS HSE.

Has anyone ever swapped out their speedometers?
Will the speedometer from a S/C work in an HSE? Are there difference between the speedometers used in the different years?
Is there anything I need to know before purchasing the new speedo?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thanks !!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Unless you are thinking of replacing just the needles by breaking into the module (which may not be possible to do "legally"), doing that would require you to replace the whole instrument cluster with one for a S/C. Two big problems with that: Cost of the electronic cluster itself and labor required to program it for your car. Since the cluster contains all vital data about your car - recorded odometer info, VIN, vehicle features, etc., AKA "Car Configuration File" or CCF - a replacement unit, whether new ($$$) or used from a "donor" car, would have to be programmed / reprogrammed by an authorized dealer with all data copied from your existing cluster before it could work in your car, it's not a plug and play swap. I'm guessing the car would not even start without programming the swapped module first. And, I am also thinking a dealer would not want to do that, even if you were willing to pay for the switch.

Also, a few owner noted in the past that the red needles of their 2006-09 S/C cluster gauges become harder to see under certain direct sunlight conditions, especially with tinted windows or while wearing polarized sunglasses. So, although they don't look as exciting the white needles of the non-supercharged version may actually be more functional.

Overfinch sells a cool instrument cluster for the Sport (with white dials) which I liked better than both stock ones, but when I inquired about it years ago it was so expensive that I gave up on the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I would change my RRSC cluster for a NA cluster any day of the week. The SC cluster is flipping useless... don't fall for the fancy red needles because they're hopeless during the daytime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts