RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baby needs a new radiator. Broken expansion tank nipple. I have one sitting in the 99S in the garage but I haven't convinced myself to start robbing parts off it yet. Sentimentality probably.`8)

Anyway here's the dilemma I'm working through. Let's say the Green Oval radiator $$$$$ is the hallmark and then you've got the low ball guy $ then there's 3 or 4 others in the $$$ range. All but the Green Oval have the same part number just a different suffix. Do they all come off the same assembly line out of the same plant. Or is there really a difference? Say maybe in used vs new tanks or quality control.

There is no one in this flat land city that can replace the tanks and I wouldn't trust them if they said they could. All of the engine shops I've called and asked about Rover engine work they've dropped the phone and run away scared.

Any thoughts?

Rioja.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Call any of the usual vendors like Atlantic British, Rovers North, Rock Auto

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Have done my research, this is the point.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
so far with the few radiator shops in business I have not found one who works on aluminum-plastic radiators as found on p38's and vast majority of current model vehicles.
as suggested there are a number of vendors whom may be able to offer an economic solution. as per brand there are so many variances, but all must meet minimum original manufacturer standards before being sold in the us as viable replacement.

some brands you may find, Behr, all seasons, 4 seasons, cool masters, cool blast, aissin, nissin, cool-r. these are some which have been supplied by parts suppliers I have used in the past, all performed well.
outside of OE then you have your custom but that is a whole different subject.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll look into these brands since they haven't come up on the usual sites I haunt for parts.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
New OEM radiators now have a brass tubular insert moulded into the plastic bleed off pipe to strengthen it.

The plastic top of my original OEM radiator literally exploded as I was pulling a trailer up up a steep hill. The plastic goes brittle with age but it was over 10 years old. Someone on here had a new plastic top fitted to an OEM rad. Sorry can't remember who it was.

With aftermarket I think you get what you pay for. Some of the cheaper ones I have seen are very shallow and don't have much heat transfer area. I invested in an all alloy rad made by Allisport which is very good.

https://www.allisport.com/manufacturer/land-rover/?filter_model-series=range-rover-p38

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
I fitted one of these https://www.direnza.co.uk/land-rover-range-rover-p38-high-flow-alloy-radiator.html in my car. Not sure if they will deal with overseas customers but it was defintely worth the money.

It's listed as for 94-98 as the top stub is for the GEMS cars and in the UK a 99 is almost always a Thor with the top hose connection on the opposite side. As the OP has a Callaway, that was based on the GEMS so it is the correct one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good choices, thanks for the replies. This one did have the brass insert. Not sure how it got broken it arrived that way. I didn't know it until I drove down to get it registered and tagged. Someone had tried to glue it. Can't glue the impossible.

So now it's all tagged and ready but sitting in the driveway waiting on a radiator and a few other bits and pieces I expected. But no motoring until I do the radiator.

I think I'll check with Direnza and see if they ship to the US, in very heavy packaging!

Thanks
Rioja.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I can't get through to Direnza. Phone company says the call asn not be completed as dialed.
Tried to look up that UK area code and didn't get a match and I can't find any other info on the web for Direnza.
So unless someone across the pond can get a good number for them then I guess they're out of the running.

Rioja.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
As the phone number is an 08 number, it may not be possible to call it from overseas, as it is a non geographic number with different charges to standard calls. You'd need to use +44844 448 2002 but it still may not work. However, they supply a company who sell on eBay.co.uk under the name of Performance Parts Direct (which may even be the same company and is where I bought mine from) and there is an email address so you could contact them that way. They don't currently have a listing for a P38 radiator but contact details can be found on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIRENZA-42MM-ALUMINIUM-RACE-RADIATOR-RAD-FOR-VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-JETTA-SCIROCCO-GTI/350700252772

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the explanation and leg work Richard. I call internationally occasionally but I really don't understand all the different localized prefixes and sutch. I think this may be the first one that didn't work.
I did send an email through the sellers link on the UK ebay site you provided. We'll see if they respond and what they say.

Rioja.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a prompt reply from the store front at the Bay in UK. Unfortunately, like the listings say shipping to the US can not be arranged.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
That's common with sellers on eBay. Whenever I've got a trip coming up to a friend in France I start receiving lots of parcels of stuff that he wants but the sellers won't post overseas. His workshop is equipped entirely with equipment that I've taken over to him. Do you know anyone over here that could forward it on?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No personal contacts. Just businesses scattered throughout the UK, Germany and Eastern Europe. Audio interests mostly.
Reply sent to your PM btw.

Rioja.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm not sure if what I say is true, but I think that a lot of the radiators offered come from the same factory, just different price tags..

·
Registered
361 Posts
I fitted one of these https://www.direnza.co.uk/land-rover-range-rover-p38-high-flow-alloy-radiator.html in my car. Not sure if they will deal with overseas customers but it was defintely worth the money.

It's listed as for 94-98 as the top stub is for the GEMS cars and in the UK a 99 is almost always a Thor with the top hose connection on the opposite side. As the OP has a Callaway, that was based on the GEMS so it is the correct one.

****, that's a good price!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are my thoughts as well. I'm curious to see how many others feel the same way.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The radiator saga has come to an end.
With the help of a very fine and generous member of RangeRovers.net I was able to obtain a Direnza all aluminum tig welded radiator from the UK.
IMG_20190427_150127681_HDR.jpg They don’t ship to the US so this member who I once again thank very kindly offered to act as an intermediate drop point and then forward it on to me.
After receiving it I got myself tuned up with a back epidural a steroid injection in my knee and a new medication so I could be up to the challenge.
Then out came the old radiator.
IMG_20190426_141450619_HDR.jpg Of course I didn’t have all the tools I needed. In almost 14 years of driving Land Rovers I have never needed to change a water pump so there for have never needed a 36mm wrench to remove the viscus fan nut. I have one now. I also in my many pry bars and such things had nothing that would work to hold the water pump pulley while loosening the nut. Strap wrenches didn’t work for me either so I had another solution. You might notice it if you look close enough.
IMG_20190426_141516941_HDR.jpg A 2 inch “C” clamp clamped onto the pulley and allowed to wedge against the web of the water pump. Worked a charm.
The refit with the new aluminum radiator was all in all pretty good but did have it’s troubling moments.
The upper side mounts that slide into the support wings are made up of crude pieces of aluminum channel that have been welded to the sides and although the alignment is good the fit to the shaped slots in the steel wings is not.
So after loosening the oil cooler and mounting bolts for the wings to get more room I spent quite a bit of time carefully prying, pushing, tapping and forming the aluminum tabs to the slots in the wings.
IMG_20190428_181958082_HDR.jpg At the bottom end the right-hand bolt mount was a perfect alignment but the nuts welded to the radiator are an m6x15 rather than the factory m8x20. The mounting hole on the left-hand side was perfect horizontally but off about ½” vertically. It was easy enough to push into place with one hand and only moderate force so I don’t think it will be under too much stress to go ahead and bolt up.
The bottom outlet pipe is at a 90 degree angle which took me a little more effort to get the hose to thermostat on and clamped up. The offset on the factory radiator is easier.
All together though I’m really very pleased with the radiator and I’m looking forward to putting it to work.
IMG_20190504_181744974_HDR.jpg Still having pretty cool rainy weather here so it might be a little while before the hot summer temps set in if we get them at all this year.

Bonus round.......
Since we've had so many rain days I spent a little time installing new drivers in the sub box and cleaning up the old CD changer, got it working a little better.
IMG_20190428_182130344_HDR.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts