RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I have searched around on the forum and it seem that keyfob replacement or refurb is a somewhat over-complicated issue, but did everybody go to LR for their new keys?
I have one key which works perfectly well, but is looking rather tired and worn.

Does anybody know if LR do a folding key for the L322? (2002/03)
Is there a 3rd party option?
Are any of the keys available on FleaBay any use?

(bear in mind it would need the electronics too - not just the case)

edit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Land-Rover-L322-Remote-flip-Key-Upgrade-2002-2006-Vogue-HSE-433mhz-/172210184431?hash=item281886e0ef:g:ZZAAAOSwoBtW5Ua8
Would this do? Would I need to get it cut at locksmith then get LR to pair for ignition?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have that exact FOB in my 06, works fine. Had it cut at a local locksmith for 20 bucks, and just transferred the immobilizer chip from my old key to the new fob. My chip is the one that just sits inside the plastic housing of the key head, looks like a little rectangular cube with one rounded side on it. Just need to make sure your door lock transponder operates at the same frequency I think some work at 315Mhx, and some work at 433MHz. Door lock transponder does not need the dealer to sync it, you can do it yourself but if you don't want to move your immobilizer chip over to the new key so you have additional keys you need to get the immobilizer chip from LR. I have a bag full of blank immobilizer chips (they cost about 2 bucks apiece) but I haven't investigated as to whether a locksmith can clone them to my original chip or not. Someday I will find someone with the correct equipment and ask. I've got three sets of keys, that will open the doors, but only one with an active chip that will start the truck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who would have thought that simply buying a new car key could be such a PITA!!
Thanks for the info Mark. Does anybody know how I find if my Rangie is 315MHz or 433MHz?
I want another fully operational key so I guess that means I would have to source an imobiliser chip too - is that a contact LR job?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
"Does anybody know how I find if my Rangie is 315MHz or 433MHz?"

It is printed on the back of the key, at least it is on mine which is 433MHz. However it is just barely legible due to wear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Lister - I can just about make out 433MHz if I look VERY hard.

So the one I listed in my OP is the right frequency and it can be cut to fit my lock.
I assume that I can program its own door-lock transponder as per usual method.
So if I am right I just need to get hold of a LR immobiliser transponder? Can anybody help with this?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The older 02-05's (maybe the 06's with the key in the center console) RR's use the BMW EWS immobilization system, and can probably (key word as I do not know for sue) be programed by a BMW dealer, or with a PK90 key programmer. It involves removing the immobilzation ECU, pulling the circuit board out of the plastic box it sits in and reading the info on the chip in the immobilizer with the PK90 programmer, and writing that info to a new key transponder chip. You need a blank (or even a used) transponder chip in your new FOB and the PK90 will write the ECU's info onto the chip in the FOB. Then just reinstall the immobilizer back into the console and plug it back in and your new key should work. Otherwise your back at the LR dealership trying to order a new key for the insane amount of money they want for it, just to get the immobilzer transponder chip out of it when it arrives.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next question... Anybody in Manchester UK area who has an AK90 or AK90+ key programmer?
I can order one on Ebay for about £50 but then wait about a fortnight for delivery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts