Range Rovers Forum banner

Replacement key fob

14K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  turbostang 
#1 ·
Does anyone here know where I can get a replacement key fob(s) LR Dealers can’t get it, national back order. I’m on the waiting list for 3 months already.
i need a replacement ASAP. My 2nd fob already giving me issue (have to tap it A few time on a hard surface to lock and unlock the door).

#3 ·
#5 ·
Does anyone here know where I can get a replacement key fob(s) LR Dealers can’t get it, national back order. I’m on the waiting list for 3 months already.
i need a replacement ASAP. My 2nd fob already giving me issue (have to tap it A few time on a hard surface to lock and unlock the door).
This place sells OEM key for $238.

Perhaps give them a call to see if it works?

#6 ·
If it’s just the fob we are talking about then yes the eBay you can program for your car but if you want the fob and the physical key then only Land Rover, you give them your vin and it will be programmed from them and you’ll have the key cut by them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
By the way, here is another thread on this subject:

#17 ·
If you have the Gap tool it can be programmed from a new cut key.
If you’re looking to just replace the shell of the key because the buttons are torn. You can buy any shell on eBay or key as long as it looks original. Open your old key and remove the spring and board along with the key. Inserting these into the new part. Your vehicle will still recognize it. I’ve done this so I know it works. Just be sure the battery is good to go. Otherwise you’ll Definitely need a new key unless you want to buy a battery and are good at soldering.

#18 ·
Turbostang, I bought a key FOB from Ebay at around $14 bucks. Opened up the old, useless key fob and removed the guts and key. Installed them in the new shell with a new battery and viola, works great. Just make sure, like someone said before, that the new shell matches the vehicle you have. There are multiple videos on youtube on how to open up the old shell. GL

#20 ·
I found a place in England that restores old key fobs. I have not used him but found him through a combination of this blog and internet research. You can contact him at Daniel Dean <spencer.electronics@yahoo.co.uk>. No money up front.

#21 ·
You can just buy the fob for like $15-20 from eBay or Amazon and transfer the board and actual key from your old one. The main issue with the cheap/aftermarket fobs is that the groove where the key rotates and/or the ball of the actual key that rotates in the groove do not match.

Not the end of the world, it took me some time to file mine but I was able to make it work and have the groove match my old key. You can get lucky, or maybe buy one from Atlantic British since they know which suppliers sized the holes correctly. The electronics transfer with no problem.

#22 ·
You could get this from Amazon - line below. Then splice the seal along the OEM FOB to open it up. Take the key metal key out for the original and place it in the one from Amazon. You would still need the gap tool to program the fob from amazon.
Alternative I had also done is take the board from the orignal fob to a phone repair place and they can switch out the battery. Then place the original key and board in the replacement.
I found a local key guy that has a laser cutter to cut the blanks for any future use. works well as a back up.

#25 ·
Ok here is the update on the key fobs. The keys were cut by my local locksmith. A maximum of 2 key fobs can Only be programmed to the vehicle. I have a total of 4 keys, 2 Oem (1st key fob, buttons unresponsive, can start vehicle , 2nd key fob buttons work intermittently, can start vehicles) and 2 aftermarket from Amazon. I only programmed 1 a/m for spare and seem to be working fine. I didn’t want to chance programming the 2nd a/m key fob and lose both oem programmed key fobs In case the a/m key fobs have issue down the road.
Hopefully my local LR will have my key fob soon. I’m not too crazy with a/m parts especially key fob. Too many bad experience with cheap a/m parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.