RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
98 Posts
You can just buy the fob for like $15-20 from eBay or Amazon and transfer the board and actual key from your old one. The main issue with the cheap/aftermarket fobs is that the groove where the key rotates and/or the ball of the actual key that rotates in the groove do not match.

Not the end of the world, it took me some time to file mine but I was able to make it work and have the groove match my old key. You can get lucky, or maybe buy one from Atlantic British since they know which suppliers sized the holes correctly. The electronics transfer with no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
You could get this from Amazon - line below. Then splice the seal along the OEM FOB to open it up. Take the key metal key out for the original and place it in the one from Amazon. You would still need the gap tool to program the fob from amazon.
Alternative I had also done is take the board from the orignal fob to a phone repair place and they can switch out the battery. Then place the original key and board in the replacement.
I found a local key guy that has a laser cutter to cut the blanks for any future use. works well as a back up.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
98 Posts
Normally you will not be able to find someone cut the key for you other than the dealer, but maybe you can find a guy. If the board inside is intact and working, change the battery if needed, and swap it along with the actual key onto the new key fob.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok here is the update on the key fobs. The keys were cut by my local locksmith. A maximum of 2 key fobs can Only be programmed to the vehicle. I have a total of 4 keys, 2 Oem (1st key fob, buttons unresponsive, can start vehicle , 2nd key fob buttons work intermittently, can start vehicles) and 2 aftermarket from Amazon. I only programmed 1 a/m for spare and seem to be working fine. I didn’t want to chance programming the 2nd a/m key fob and lose both oem programmed key fobs In case the a/m key fobs have issue down the road.
Hopefully my local LR will have my key fob soon. I’m not too crazy with a/m parts especially key fob. Too many bad experience with cheap a/m parts.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
120 Posts
Just want to clarify: was the local locksmith able to program the Amazon keyfob to make its transponder chip work with the car's immobilizer? Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just want to clarify: was the local locksmith able to program the Amazon keyfob to make its transponder chip work with the car's immobilizer? Thanks.
Yes the locksmith cut and programmed the amazon key fob to make its transponder chip work with the car's immobilizer. Not sure about the other Range Rover. But my RRS is limited to 2 key fobs.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
120 Posts
Good to know that. Do you happen to know what kind of tool the locksmith used? Thanks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts