Range Rovers Forum banner

replacement engines; what autos came with the '08 l322 4.4 range rover engine

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  sowr 
#1 ·
replacement engines; what autos came with the '08 l322 4.4 range rover engine

looking for a replacement engine for a 2008 range rover 4.4, thanks

#2 ·
Re: replacement engines; what autos came with the '08 l322 4.4 range rover engine

Do you mean in addition to RRs? I have the 04, so I may be wrong on this, but I understand the 06 through at least 08 was the Jaguar 4.4 engine based on the AJ-series. While the AJ-series was used on several different makes and models, the 4.4 was only in the RR and, maybe?, a slightly different version in the 05 Discovery.

I guess something is wrong with yours and the mechanic says you need a replacement instead of rebulding it?

#3 ·
Re: replacement engines; what autos came with the '08 l322 4.4 range rover engine

'08 RR HSE 4.4; 91K: possible head gaskets, willing to replace if I can find a workshop manual. Overheated (gauge never in red, low coolant warning caused by leak in radiator hose); local mechanic said combustion in cooling system; he tested. No evidence in oil, looks normal. Runs well, normal, overheats quickly by pressure in expansion tank. Plan is to check compression/leak down, if good, move on to head gaskets. Not sure if any other engine damage occurred. Researching if any special tools required to do work and/or cost of good used engine for swap.
-parts source for head gaskets?
-special tools
-shop manual; downloaded RAVE but cannot locate engine details

thanks for you help

#4 ·

2008 is not the BMW 4.4.
Is it supercharged?
Check WWW.Alldatadiy.com for the repair info. If they list it, get it. i have that for everything I work on.
Martin

#5 ·

no not supercharged; I previously owned the BMW version...this is the Jag motor. It seems to be the same motor used in the LR3?
Engine & Performance

BASE ENGINE SIZE
4.4 L
CAM TYPE
Double overhead cam (DOHC)
CYLINDERS
V8
VALVES
VALVE TIMING
Variable
TORQUE
325 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
HORSEPOWER
305 hp @ 5750 rpm
TURNING CIRCLE
39.4 ft.

Suspension

#6 ·

have a look at Alldata then and see if they list it.

Martin

#7 ·

The engine in the LR3 / RRS and the RR are very similar, and are compatible, however they are very slightly different. You would need to change over some of the stuff, oil pan and some bracketry, but it could be made to work.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.