RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 petrol Vogue and am getting the "Air Suspension Inactive" and "HDC Inactive" messages as well as the ABS icon, Brake icon and exclamation (!) point icon lighting up. I had the alternator replaced in January and these started in about March. I am figuring the battery needs replacing (although it never goes flat - but it is several years old).

My question: Has anybody used an Optima D31M battery to replace the original. I have been recommended the D31M which seems to be a great battery but I am mindful these vehicles are very sensitive to voltage etc (this is the reason I am replacing the battery!) I have also been told a Besco calcium battery would be good (can't remember if he said 17 or 19 plates). Can anybody tell me of their experiences or whether the Optima D31M is likely to cause any problems?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure if they have them in Oz, but in US we have Interstate Batteries they are a 72 Month warranty battery very good company and replace battery at the drop of a hat. They hold good charge and operate well in extremes of temperature From Hot to Cold. OPTIMAS are nice Batteries and my experience with them has been in a Ford Product <SPIT COUGH F%** S*##> So I cant relate to them in a Range Rover.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have heard that the Optima is good in theory, however in recent years I've also read they have been having issues with defective ones. I went with a DieHard Platium PM-1, which is the same as the big Odyssey battery. It is a beast of a battery and you will need a longer earth lead to connect it because it is slightly taller, but I've been happy so far.

My interstate mtp-93 was a piece of junk. The thing boiled over and leaked acid everywhere for no apparent reason (internal short maybe), I can find nothing wrong with the alternator. I'm hoping that the new one won't ever do that since it is sealed. I'd hate to lose the air lines or the coolant lines that run directly underneath the battery tray.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I recently replaced the battery in my vette, and I went with an Optima Yellow Top. When it is time to do the same in my RR SC I plan to go the same way.
As always many choices and we all have differing opinions. I haven't heard a bad report on Optima batteries from my friends

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I just replaced my Interstate battery, graciously replaced by Interstate under full warranty even though the date stamp may have been just past the full replacement period. All I can say about that is that I may have asked a little too much from the battery at one time. :wink:
I noticed thay had the Optima's too (This was specifically an Interstate service store) and asked - they said that Optima's are made by Interstate...
I bet it's been mentioned here, but I didn't know that!

I've got to confess though that I am partial to Die Hard/Craftsman products.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts