RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running perfectly well, I park up and an hour later there isn't enough juice to start up. This has happened twice now but with a long interval and change of battery between. Both occasions I had to jump start with cables. The second time was after it was parked on the ferry overnight. And this time, while the battery has recharged again, the turn indicator lights on the dash aren't working (the actual lights are), and the LCD screen is dead too.

From reading some threads here on electrical problems with RRs, it seems they're hyper sensitive. I took none of the precautions mentioned when I took out and replaced the battery, twice now, but it did run normally after I did it and didn't even need to code the radio.

I will now check the fuses. Is it ok to check the fuses just without the ignition key in or should I also disconnect the battery to do that? The last time I did it with the keys in and I think I triggered the immobiliser, but after a battery recharge everything was OK again.

Any ideas what this reoccurring problem might be - it is as if something is not switching off and running the battery down, but that doesn't explain this new dead indicator/screen issue...

I should say the new battery is 95ah, whereas the original is 110ah. Not ideal but it seems to have run Ok thus far.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
115 Posts
Sound like an alternator to me. Had this happen a long time back with my dads P38.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I'll ask the guy at my local garage to test it, not an LR garage though. I'll check the fuses tomorrow too. When i bought it the LCD screen wasn't working either and the sales guy called the LR dealer and they said to take out and put back in the fuse and it would work, and it did. The fuse wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem and it was the alternator. Quite expensive to fix but it did cure the problem.

Once fixed I put a trickle charge on every 2 weeks to keep the battery in top condition.

The electrics are very very sensitive and that is why avoiding a flat battery is the best route hence the trickle charge.

Sometimes when the battery is flat it will throw up display faults and even after the battery is charged the faults still show.

The best way to reset the various electrical items is to fix the battery first then take the fuses out for the various displayed faults.

Mine had just been to the body shop and needed jump started. This caused the TPM fault to show.

Solution was to fully charge the battery, switch the ignition to on position, check for display faults, switch off, pull the fuse relevant to the fault, switch ignition to on position, the fault should show due to no fuse.
Switch off put fuse back in, switch on and that resets the electrics for that particular fault.
I have done this for various faults caused by the battery being flat.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the specifics on the fuses Andy that's really helpful. To confirm, you replaced the alternator right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts