RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

My viscous fan has been running constantly since i bought the truck, so I guess it got stuck engaged. I bought a new coupling unit and after going insane do to the nut holding it in place I finally got it off :)

I replaced the coupling with the new one and it still runs constantly at full speed? Is the new unit faulty or should I start looking elsewhere to find the cause.
As i understand the fan should be lighter to spin when engine is cold and stiff when engine is hot due to the coupling being engaged. Mine is stiff to the degree that its not possible to spin when engine is cold. I can move it by force but not spin it. I have not checked it when engine is warmed up, but as it is stiff when cold I guess there is something that is not correct

I have never had overheating problems and thermostat and water pump seems to operate correctly

I searched the threads here and someone mentioned to rev the engine to around 3000-4000rpm, well that does not make any difference here.

Im kind of clueless here so if anyone got any ideas, please hit me.

/Erik

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
it has been my experience that upon start up they maintain engine rpm thus engaged and noisy, about 5 minutes later they quiet down as fluid slippage increases.
then as engine cooling need arises the unit cycles engagement. when engine off and cold, they are hard to turn.
do a google search on how they operate and you will realize why they behave the way they do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts