RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing a tie rod because I had over an inch of play on the steering wheel, I now have a new problem. On the freeway, the steering is super shaky around 50-60mph.

My mechanic only recommended replacing the damaged tie rod, but now I'm thinking I need all new tie rods. What are other causes for a shaky steering wheel?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Did you have it aligned after replacing the tie rod?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have it aligned after replacing the tie rod?
Nope :(. My mechanic said it wasn't needed since it was the front right tie rod only. I am going to take it today to be aligned. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Before you do that I would very closely inspect your other components. No sense in aligning now and having to replace other bits down the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tried to stop myself but I have to say it. If your mechanic changed the tie rod and told you it wouldn't need to have the alignment checked you might want to consider a new mechanic. Chances of the toe setting being the same before and after is not something I would want to bet on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it to a shop who balanced the front tires. Problem is still there.

Sounds like the dealer may have to align it. The tire shop said the front passenger side is about 5/8" lower than the front drivers side. Maybe I need a height sensor adjusted?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Oh dear lourde, ANY alignment shop can do a toe in adjustment. Toe in is the ONLY alignment even possible to begin with. Once again, you need a front end alignment due to the tie rod end being replaced.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh dear lourde, ANY alignment shop can do a toe in adjustment. Toe in is the ONLY alignment even possible to begin with. Once again, you need a front end alignment due to the tie rod end being replaced.
I just noticed this piece missing on my rover with the wobbles. The other one has a washer and lock nut. This one is missing it all. Strangest thing is I don't see any threads to attach a lock nut too!? It is just a smooth rod that doesn't extend out far enough to attach a nut to it. What pieces am I missing? I couldn't find them on roversnorth. Also, could this be the culprit to the shakes?

(And I WILL get a toe in alignment once I figure out this piece)

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks like bolt sheered off and bushing is gone. If no bushing, the part will need to be replaced too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it is an arm with threads at the end. Might be a bit pricier than just a bolt :(.

Any chance this could be linked to a shaky steering wheel at high speeds?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I looked at photos correctly that is an idler that is bolted to bottom of steering box. The front panhard attatches to this. Oh boy, serious shake! I wouldnt even be drivin it! That idler and bushing will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
11 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts