RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yeah personally, I had more trouble inserting the new one than getting the old one out, my knuckles are glad I haven't had to do it again. Hopefully the replacement will last at least as long as I keep the vehicle. Not something that should normally fail so easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great instruction! Many thanks.

From the start to the end of the work, so with the old and the new FSR in place air is slowly being pumped out of the footwell vent only. Is this normal, or does this end when the car is locked? I have had no battery drain issues (so far).

foto.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
checking it again after one night, the air output stopped. The FSR needs some air circulation before it can do its job properly apparently. Makes sense when you think of it....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to add my experience to the forum in case it comes in handy for anyone doing this:

I have an 03 HSE, LHD. If you can change brake pads, you can do this. It took me about two hours of fiddling around - now that I know what I'm doing I'm sure I could shave a few minutes off of that, but most of it was spent lining up screws that didn't want to find holes and such.

I did not remove the glove box or fuse panel - absolutely no reason to unless you are doing it for some other reason.

I mainly followed the RSW Solutions instructions and photos, but also read all the other threads out there I could find.

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=343:mkiii-how-to-replace-final-stage-resistor&catid=54:mkiii-repair-videos&Itemid=78

My separate notes:

- I needed a Torx 25 in addition to the Torx 20 mentioned in the instructions (happily I own lots of tools I have never used and that was one of them);

- I set ride height to offroad before starting to make it more comfortable to work on;

- hand size shouldn't be an issue unless you are a real giant - my XL glove sized hands worked just fine. Key for me was figuring out that the right hand goes under and around the tube that remains in front of the FSR, with the left hand going straight in - that way I could use both hands at once;

- removing the wire connector wasn't that bad, just got light pressure on both sides and then wiggled it off. Definitely do that before you unseat the FSR itself;

- tuck the wire connector up and out of the way to make it easier to get the new FSR in, there is a small overhang which I believe is part of the fuse panel;

- I ran into the same problem that a lot of people seem to - getting the new FSR into place but not getting that satisfying click and solid hold. No amount of pressure and wiggle was doing the trick and I was getting close to giving it a tap with a mallet and block of wood. Before resorting to that, I noticed that there is a plastic tab on the new FSR that was not on the old one (see attached photo - new one is on the right and you can see the offending piece on the right of that). I trimmed it off, under the theory that if the old one didn't need it to stay in place, why would the new one? That got it in further, but still didn't put it over the lip. I did a lot of contorting so I could see the pins were not lining up just right in the guide holes on the FSR. By pulling down on the right side (using the little appendage that the hole on that side resides in), while simultaneously pushing it straight in, the FSR clicked nicely into place and is snug. That satisfying click.

The rest of it is just fighting with trim pieces that don't want to line up right while you are in an awkward position.

My HVAC system works perfectly again.

Good luck with yours, TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi folks, thanks for everones input on the FSR replacement topic. I have a 1999 RR (LHD) and need to know if the FSR part number is JGO000021 for this year/model. I've been having trouble trying to source the part and ensure that it is even the same issue for a 1999. Can one of you please confirm the part number and replacement process described in this thread is the same.

Many thanks!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
Hi folks, thanks for everones input on the FSR replacement topic. I have a 1999 RR (LHD) and need to know if the FSR part number is JGO000021 for this year/model. I've been having trouble trying to source the part and ensure that it is even the same issue for a 1999. Can one of you please confirm the part number and replacement process described in this thread is the same.

Many thanks!
Wrong model, wrong design, wrong parts. Please post in the P38 forum what your issues are for trouble shooting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading all of the information from everyone above I ventured out and repaired my FSR. I have a 2003 Range Rover L322 HSE and after watching a few videos on youtube and reading what many of you wise people have posted the operation went impressively well. My only issue was trying to press together and remove the clamps holding in the FSR while it was seated in position. after reading what LEBoyd posted above I changed up my process and unclasped the FSR and moved it closer which allowed me to press and remove the wire harness successfully.

I can tell you I was at my boiling point trying to unclasp the wiring harness first it was [email protected] near impossible, I still have sore fingers. Thanks LEBoyd. Your advice 7 years later works wonders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody, I own a L322 Vogue ( 2004 ) and have problems with my fan, replaced the FSR and a new 50 Amps fuse, everything worked again and than suddenly the blower stopped, no more air, ( fuse didn't jump ) and all the lights on the control panel are working, is there any one here how recognizes this issue ? BTW: to replace FSR on LHD look it up on Youtube, there is a nice tutorial on it, worked perfectly for me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts