RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber on my original Spade Key (BMW style) key has seen better days. I have two keys, but the FOB portion only works on one, and the rubber is extremely worn.

I bought a cheap replacement key with the hope of swapping the circuit board & transponder from the working key. I had the key cut by locksmith, but I couldn't get the FOB to work. There seemed to be a problem with the circuit board aligning internally with buttons. I was really frustrated by all the time & money wasted on this project.

I was looking for a good condition used key that I could put my circuit board & transponder in when I noticed an ad on EBay for a replacement key that looks similar to Audi Flip with Range Rover blade.

I ordered it, and was able to program it and the FOB portion worked to unlock/lock the doors, and the global unlock feature worked.

I had the blade cut by locksmith, and removed the transponder from my worn out factory key, and installed it in my flip key. I had a new flip key for my 2006 Range Rover and it was around $90.00. This was considerably less that $500.00 quoted by Cincinnati Dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did this shell come with its own circuit board?
I have exactly the same problem... worn tuner buttons and new shell does not work well due to bad alignment and flexing of internal parts.
So how can I tell which shell would work for my 2006 supercharged l322?
Can you share the eBay link or will any newer Range Rover flip key shell work?
I really would love to do te same as you did.... would appreciate any links or info for getting the right type of shell.
Congrats for such a great solution! Brilliant!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, it came with it's own circuit board.

Step1- I programmed the Key Fob to unlock doors using the sync method I found on this site. Unlock car get in, and turn key without starting and then quickly remove key from ignition. Hold unlock button & press lock button 5 times. The doors unlocked and re-locked when I was successful.

Step 2- I searched internet for locksmith who advertised Key Cutting for BMW. Went to locksmith, and had key cut from my original.

Step 3- I disassembled my original key, removed the transponder, and installed it in my new key.

Here is ebay link where i purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=361288004356&view=all&tid=826765380023

The listing had several spelling errors which could make it difficult to find by searching:

UPGRADE RANGE ROVER RUBBER REMOTE TO R8 STYLE FLIP KEY REMOTE CHIP TRANSPONDER

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank for the info guys! I've been wanting to do this upgrade seeing as I can't stand the cumbersome and outdated fixed/rubber key. I noticed the compatible vehicles on the ebay links that were posted only go up to 2006. I have a 2007 RR HSE. Does anyone know if this will work on mine? Also, did it come with the "Land Rover" emblem or did you have to add it yourself?

·
Registered
377 Posts
When you reprogram a key, you must do all of them, as the vehicle's ECU generates a new code that must be programmed into all keys. The old code is replaced. The key and the ECU handshake the code before performing any function on the key FOB.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here are the key reprogramming instructions. I've used it twice and I know that it works. Do all keys when you do this, as the handshake code changes rendering other keys useless.

===========================================
Programming a new Key

Replacing a missing master key is quite expensive from Land Rover, try not to get sucked into the extra cost of "Dealer coding" You can do this yourself in 2 minutes by following the simple process below.

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar. Hold it high above center console between headrests.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would contact ebay seller, and ask if key for 2007 is available/ compatible. I contacted them, and they replied quickly with useful information.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Let us know if you get these flip keys to work. I'm interested.

I bought a key from the dealer 2 1/2 years ago and the rubber buttons already look like crap. Kind of like my driver's interior door pull. /:(

·
Registered
924 Posts
If your doing this remember that the part that unlocks the doors has nothing to do with the actual starting of the car. Theres a circuit board with a battery and button contacts inside these key FOBs. all that stuff does is lock and unlock your doors and rear tailgate once its synced to your vehicle. The starting transponder is a little black chip about 1/4" long by 1/8" wide that sits in a little pocket down next to the blade of the key. This is what unlocks your steering column and your ignition switch so you can turn it. DO NOT lose that chip or let it fall out of the FOB, throw it away with the old FOB, etc. You will not be able to start your car without it, and then you will have to go the LR for a replacement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought two different style keys, and they both work. The first key was the Audi style, and it worked great. It worked so well that one day I went out to the driveway, and all my windows were down. The unlock button was accidentally pressed in my pocket.

I decided to buy another key with different design. I don't know much about keys, but the locksmith who cut the key said "wow, this is a really nice key."

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have that key in my 06, works fine, as long as you swap your existing transponder chip over from your old key.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts