Range Rovers Forum banner

Replaced locking actuator for driver's door, but still won't lock/unlock without key

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  brewersprts 
#1 ·
Replaced locking actuator for driver's door, but still won't lock/unlock without key

Hi, I am having an issue with my 2008 HSE. The driver's door lock wasn't responding to the keyless entry, or the locking button inside, so I ordered a new actuator to fix the problem, (Or at least I thought it would). Well, I switched them out and the new one isn't working either. I felt like it was responding at first when I tested it with the door skin still off, but not after I put it all together. It acted like it was moving, but didn't appear to be moving all the way up and down. Now I am back to square one with no ability to lock or unlock it without the key. Something interesting to me is the fact that the key still locks/unlocks all of the doors, and engages/disengages the alarm from the driver's door when I manually turn the key. That tells me that the power is getting there, but for some reason the signal for the actual locking of that door isn't. I'm wondering if it's possible that I happened to get a bum replacement unit. It was from a used parts store. If that's the case, I guess I will ship it back, I just don't know how to tell. Has anyone had this experience? I have noticed posts about the actuator going, but in my case, I am concerned that it may not be the actual unit in the door. Thanks for any input you all have. This is my first post on here, and I am excited to spend a lot of time on this site now!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Replaced locking actuator for driver's door, but still won't lock/unlock without

And you will but probably not as much time as us hapless BMW rig owners. If a used unit then it could well be non functional. Ours does not respond to a signal or the key of late and will get a new one after trans issues sorted. Welcome to the site.

#3 ·
Re: Replaced locking actuator for driver's door, but still won't lock/unlock without

I don't have your exact model, but it sounds very likely that the actuator in the door is not bad. Since you replaced it and received no joy, did you hook the unit(s) up externally. Check your schematics, but they are most likely 12V systems that could be tested with the battery and a couple of jumper wires. It's also possible something was knocked loose when you put the skins back together. Next, you stated that the lock works with the key, and I believe you said the other locks work with the Fob (so after a double press of the button(s)?) If so, and you have your door apart, you should check to see if the lock(s) actuator/solenoid is receiving 12V with each unlocking method, and if it is not, work your way backwards to the BCU or receiver for the fob. One last though, if its receiver related, do you have another fob, its unlikely to make a difference but an easy check. Good luck.

#4 ·

Thanks for the responses! I thought about trying to see if the power was getting to the actual unit, I just worry that I will mess something up. There seems to be so much going on as far as wires and what not. It's hard to believe you can have so many wires for what should be a simple door locking mechanism...haha. This weekend when it is a little warmer, I will pull the unit back out and try to lock it while holding it. That way I can see if there is anything going on with it at all, or if it is completely silent. At least if I get a little sound or movement from it, I can roll the dice that maybe it is another bad actuator. Very frustrating either way though. Then, to add to my issues, it's in the teens this morning, and my windshield washers appeared to stop working....Awesome.

#5 ·

Any fix yet?

I have similar problem. My driver door will not lock. while inside I can press lock down once all are locked.
I can hit the all unlock button, and it will pop right up. It just won't go down.

Thanks,
Mitchell

08 RR HSE 4.4L

#6 ·

I had a similar problem. It was first my passenger side door but then the driver side started doing it too. The shop wanted to replace the actuators. I said no.

The wiring harness plugs for the front and rear actuators are the same. I plugged the front into the rear and the rear into the front to make sure the actuators worked. They did.

My problem ended up being in the wiring. I had a couple bad grounds and a relay that was bad. Idk if the relay going bad was caused by the bad grounds but all is good now.

It was very annoying to have to put the key in to unlock my side and then reach over and physically open the passenger side door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.