RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I follow these forumns religiously for years and always take my Land Rovers to private shops. I previously had a 95 Disco and now have a 05 Range Rover HSE. Seems these cars always have coolant problems in the middle of summer or winter.

Last summer in severe Texas heat my Rover overheated and the private Rover Shop replaced the hoses, and I didnt have many issues till now.
My Coolant Expansion tank started to spill from the seams so I purchased a new tank and followed the instructions from this site to replace it.
After replacing the expansion tank I still recieve Coolant Level Low message. If the A/C is not on it will drive for about 1 hour before the car begins to overheat. After an hour the transmission also starts to drive very rough as well.
If the A/C is on it will overheat fairly quickly (5 mins) and especially at idle.

It seem that when I top off the tank the coolant level is still at a high level and is not going down but I am still getting the coolant level low message. Is COolant not flowing down the hoses?
this is the second year in a row, should I change the Radiator? I did not change the thermostat.

Any help would be much appreciated. Also I am now in the PA/NJ/DE area so if any knows any good reasanbly priced shops in the area that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Always!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Several possible issues but do not wait too long like we did. When the tranny starts to act up possibly because of heat issues you could very well have cooling issues. Do the rad drain test to see if the lower cores of the rad are restricted. Our rad had been changed but the trans cooler had not and it was totally blocked on the water side. It looked unreal when I cut it open to have a look. Also the trans cooler manifold may need replacing-ours was ok but some have had an issue. Also the trans thermostat could be an issue with poor trans cooling. A laser thermometer may help you to test temps at different points in the system. We had to do a rebuild on the trans-possibly sooner than necessary so do not delay. And if you have had the tranny act up due to these heat issues then consider doing a tranny flush as per Merlin on this site. welcome to the site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Diff for that advice!! Never would have thought it and will look into all your suggestions. Thanks!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts