RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my rear passenger side axle seal replacement lasted a whole 200 miles before it started leaking again. I made sure to clean all surrounding areas and drive the new seal in as square as I could. I used a Britpart one from AB. Wondering if the OE from the stealership is of better quality. Any tips?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Hate to say this in public, but it sounds more like an install issue. I have installed three from AB, the most recent has over 30K miles with no issues. I know a couple of the local shops use BritPart seals. If they were an issue they would be dumped faster than the time it takes you to read this. The slightest nick, burr or missed groove can damage the seal or leave an out for the fluid. On a good note, you have the process down now and repalcing it will be much easier. :thumb:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm sure it was me and not the part. `)

I rented a seal driver from Autozone like this one...

but was somewhat unsure if the driver bit should fit in the hole of the seal and then be pounded in or if the bit should fit around the seal (same circumference) and then be driven in.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Number 1 cause for good seals going bad when bearings are good, is a blocked vent line for the axle. The pressure has to go somewhere, and the oil seals are the easiest way out.
Remove the vent line from the axle and blow into it. Make sure it is free and not clogged.
I use a 3/4" drive socket and extensions to drive in new axle seals, and I dont have any issues :lol:

Martin

·
Registered
640 Posts
Also changed a rear hub seal myself a while back did 300mls and started leaking again as i thought. Stripped it down again new seal looked fine but changed it anyway, couple of hundred miles later exactly same thing. This time just washed off leaking oil a couple of times with brake cleaner and eventually the leak stopped been o.k now for Four or Five years. Just came to the conclusion somewhere in the hub it can form a resevoir and the second leak was just the remains of oil from original leak. so if it looks as though it is leaking again might be worth bearing in mind rather than pull it apart again same as I did. Did use Genuine seals

Not saying this is your problem but might be worth bearing in mind.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts