Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Full Sized Supercharged
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I replaced a leaking front right air strut yesterday. I determined that it was leaking because my vehicle began lowering overnight beginning with that corner, and I hear audible hissing of leaking air when I put the car in access height mode. By the time I replaced the strut, there was little to no air in the bag.

I replaced the air strut, and tested all ride heights and everything seemed to be good, no hissing or audible air leaking noises. However, this morning I come out and my car is lowered down all the way again. When I turn on the car it shoots back up and holds, I tested all ride heights again and there appear to be no issues. I noticed before I did the replacement that the right heigh on the right side was a maybe a 1/2" (or less) lower than the drivers side, this is still the case after the replacement. Not sure if that info matters.

Where do I go from here? I have plans to replace the front left (as both were original) but haven't done this yet and does not show signs of leaking. Could something be wrong or incorrectly installed with the strut I put in yesterday? Or does this suggest there is a leak elsewhere in the system at the compressor or valve block or something?

Any guidance or how-to's on how to check these next spots? I probably need to rebuild the compressor and valve blocks at this point, is there any guidance out there on this.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,466 Posts
The truck will self level itself over night just sitting there. If there is a leak at any one corner the suspension will eventually end up on the bump stops. Measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom edge of the wheel well opening directly above on all 4 corners, disconnect the battery over night and see which corner is lowest in the morning. Thats the one that is leaking. If one end is lower then its probably a leak in a line somewhere. That will get you closer to finding a leak. Also make sure you drive it, let the O rings settle in and seal before tearing into a new area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The truck will self level itself over night just sitting there. If there is a leak at any one corner the suspension will eventually end up on the bump stops. Measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom edge of the wheel well opening directly above on all 4 corners, disconnect the battery over night and see which corner is lowest in the morning. Thats the one that is leaking. If one end is lower then its probably a leak in a line somewhere. That will get you closer to finding a leak. Also make sure you drive it, let the O rings settle in and seal before tearing into a new area.
Thanks for the response. Will have to repeat the disconnected battery test.

I noticed today when I'm driving over speedbumps, I hear what sounds like a "psssss" from the right side front. Is this a normal sound as the strut absorbs the bump or is it the sound of air escaping and being forced out somewhere..

My only thought is I didn't get the airline nut back on tight enough. I reused the fitting - and had a harm time positioning my wrench to tighten it and didn't want to over tighten the brass.. Maybe that is the source of the leak?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a way to get to the airline without disassembling the strut?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
501 Posts
Is there a way to get to the airline without disassembling the strut?
If you drop the vehicle to access height then leave your driver's door open (or disconnect the battery) you may be able to remove the front right upper strut nuts, then use a floor jack to raise the body on the right front to gain a little access as a gap opens up between the top of the strut and the fender's mounting position.

(I haven't tried this but it may allow just enough "drop" to the top of the strut to cinch up the brass fitting.)

FWIW, I always replace (install) a new brass "nut" whenever changing an airbag.

Good luck,

Rob

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE LUXURY
139 Posts
More likely the 1/2” difference in height causing the issue. If the vehicle can’t get leveled up it’ll keep dropping. A high corner will push the opposite corner down and cause havoc. 5mm is about the max it can be out and not cause issues. Get the suspension calibrated and level, then check again.

If you heard air escaping going over a bump I think you’d have a fault by now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
More likely the 1/2” difference in height causing the issue. If the vehicle can’t get leveled up it’ll keep dropping. A high corner will push the opposite corner down and cause havoc. 5mm is about the max it can be out and not cause issues. Get the suspension calibrated and level, then check again.

If you heard air escaping going over a bump I think you’d have a fault by now.
I took out the strut and reinstalled with new brass fitting. I think I ****ed up my sway bar, it had some weight on it and the bolt got at a funny angle and now the bolt spins along with the nut when trying to tighten it back up..

How do I calibrate suspension?

update ended up using a wrench on the backend of rollbar and tightened it up.

Got it all back together with the new compression fitting airline. I don't think it was leaking as it didn't have any noise coming from it until I loosened it.

I've got it back together now and the compressor ran for a little while longer than I'd have liked and then the front right dropped and filled back up and has been holding steady.

The ride height for both left and right fronts are the same now so maybe I bolted it back up better this time. We'll see if that fixes the problem..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts