1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just bypassed the heater.

Should I just replace the o rings or go for it and fit an Audi heater matrix?

I'm inclined to to replace the o rings, but keen to hear opinions.

Cheers.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
I can see the benefits of going Audi but if your matrix is still in good shape why bother. It is so simple to change the O rings and if Viton is used they will last 10 years or more. The job only takes a couple of hours tops - one hour if you have done it before.

I personally think an hour every ten years outweighs the Audi core.

R

·
0 Posts
are genuine O-rings "viton" or do I need to go to an O-ring supplier, hoping if they tell me it's viton they sell, that is what i actually get? and if the latter.... what is the size of the rings needed? I have two with a damp carpet on the right side of the tunnel (three actually, but the third is going to be sold in parts)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
Not sure what the genuine O rings are made from. I get my rings from a local seal supplier and the difference between the normal and Viton is subtle but can be seen. I took a couple of photos but unfortuanley you cant see any difference. Basically the Vitons I get are matt black in colour and the normal O rings are shiny. Not a very scientific way of telling them apart but the best I can offer. They both seem to be as flexible as each other.

Size is 21mm i.d. x 2.5mm.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
The downside of staying with the O rings is determining what is actually leaking. Its a pain to change the them only to find that the leak is still there due to the plastic body of the matrix being cracked. But by using a mirror you can normally see where the leak originates.

Engine side of matrix - O rings.
Screw side - matrix cracked.

And make sure the pipes are put back correctly. Its quite easy to get it wrong as they will fit in either hole but will be misaligned if not correct. Instant leak will follow. Additionally each pipe has a small cutout that must match the lug in the matrix O ring seat. Its not a tight fit but can be offset if you are not careful. And finally do not over tighten the screw. Thats what causes the matrix to crack.

Sealant is not required but I use it anyway. But more as a lubricant. Once the pipes are back in place and the clamp and screw fitted, the pipes can be rotated quite a bit in spite of the lug and cutout I mentioned. I tighten the screw gradually and twist the pipes back and forth slowly. This ensures that the pipes are home correctly and also gives a good indication of when the screw is tight enough. They will still be able to be twisted when the screw is tight enough but the sealant sets quickly to prevent that.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The original o-rings are from NBR and drying out and getting hard within 1 year or so.

Viton will stay supple for a much longer time and is resistant to much higher temperatures. O-rings from this material is used to seal the exhaust valve stems against leakage.

Regards

Jos

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
That O ring is a 22mm i.d.. Mine are 21mm. I am not sure if they will work. But I have a bunch of old heater cores and the aluminium pipes lying around so I will measure them and post the exact size. But not now. Its 03:47 in the morning here and the wind is howling outside.

http://www.amazon.com/M2-5x21-Viton-O-Ring-Shore-Durometer/dp/B005RUSOC4/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1411264110&sr=1-6&keywords=viton+o-ring+21mm

21mm

R

·
0 Posts
lol.. if you have to do it twice in three years.... is it the good o-ring for sure then?? ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've haven't touched mine, now at 116K. Of course by mentioning this they just starting leaking.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
Heater pipe outer diameter is 22.0 mm and heater core inner diameter is 25.6 mm.

FYI

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Obvious which way I would, seeing as it was me that did the Audi heater core swap first.
I did the o rings, then found it to be the heater core leaking. I said screw it and yanked it out. With the help of another member, we got it figured out to where it is a cheap and easy job to do. No need to yank the dash out etc, and it has been covered with part numbers and so on. Under $50 gets you a new core here in the states, including the hoses etc.

Martin

·
Registered
690 Posts
I just used whatever 22mm O-rings I had available. It only takes half an hour to do so I'm not worried if they go again - but I will get better rings the next time.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Genuine Land Rover O rings are only £6 a pair and as Gordon says, half an hour to change them. If the heater core is broken and leaking then replace it, otherwise just replace the bit that's failed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts