RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the bonnet / hood release cable. How do I get the cable through the firewall? I can kinda see where it goes through, but how do I GET to it? Underneath? Through the wheel well? It seems pretty tight where it is. Thought I'd ask before I starting taking everything apart to see where I can get to.

I checked in RAVE, but I didn't see it (or maybe i just missed it).

-----

On a side note:
There is often questions of how to pop the hood if it is stuck, the general method is to try to get between the hood and the grill and and unscrew the hood pin. Here is an alternate method:
- Remove the two screws from the front of the grill and bend it slightly (there are 4 screws holding the top) so you can get under it
- There are two holes on either side that you can stick a long screwdriver in and pop the latch from underneath. The hood latch is right above the sides where the grill covers so you're pretty much going straight up and back about 2"
- It take a little bit of practice, but if you get low and look up, you can see where the release cable pulls (towards the vehicle). If you push that backwards, the hood will release.
- This will work if the bonnet release cable is broken or not
- Note, I've only got this to work on the side WITHOUT the sensor, the side with the sensor popped fine with the release cable so I didn't try it on that side.

Not sure if that's useful to anyone, but I found it easier for me and I didn't see it posted.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did you ever find out how to do this repair?
I need to replace my cable as it's pretty sticky - the release handle itself is already broken which seems to be a common problem, I suspect the cables get dirty or rusty causing sticky release and too much pressure being needed and the handle subsequently breaking. I have just removed both bonnet locks and cleaned them thoroughly - they were very cruddy. After a clean up and fresh lubrication they now both work smoothly but I still have a brokern release handle and I'd like to replace the cables and handle soon.
Cheers

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
when you unbolt the handle the cables come out of it pretty easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts