RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
On eBay, there is someone in the UK called Second-Remote-Repairs (1549 reviews 100% positive this year). Has anyone here ever used him?
I only have one remote with key and would have to send remote to him without the key.

Address is
16 sutton avenue
biggleswade
bedfordshire
Bedfordshire
sg180nz
United Kingdom

Thanks,
Vancer

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Numerous people have but you need to send the complete key and fob. Do you have a key without fob (valet key) so you can use that while it is away? As long as you lock with the key blade you can unlock with it without the need for an EKA (if you have one programmed).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
On eBay, there is someone in the UK called Second-Remote-Repairs (1549 reviews 100% positive this year). Has anyone here ever used him?
I only have one remote with key and would have to send remote to him without the key.

Address is
16 sutton avenue
biggleswade
bedfordshire
Bedfordshire
sg180nz
United Kingdom

Thanks,
Vancer
Hi Richard,
No, I only have the one key fob. I contacted Jon Dean and he said I could send the fob without the key and he could fix it. The lock switch button came loose from the circuit board and the unlock button quit working.

I plan not to drive the rig whilst the fob is away. Need the key though, just in case.
Thanks for your input.
Vancer

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I had bad experiences with Fobfix back in 2017.

FobFix

The guys name was "Duncan". Don't use them. May be operating now under a different name. Based in Bradford, UK.
Should have been a full refurb. New case and microswitches etc.
Worked for a short time then one of the buttons stopped working after a week or so. Sent it back, then he wouldn't answer my e-mails.
I still have the key but it doesn't work. Wasted £50.

Reactions: 1Steven

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE (Works!):
Hi All,
I sent my remote fob without key and without battery from Memphis, TN USA to Jon in the UK (address given in post above). I mailed it the same day that England & Ireland were added to the restriction list.

In spite of the pandemic, I received it back Monday of this week (today is Friday). It worked, without re-synching!!!
However, the generic case that he sent it back in did not quite accommodate the width of the original key. I took the key and circuit board and put them in my original Land Rover fob and all is well. Otherwise, the key will not fold exactly flush with the casing.

Communication could be improved. Be sure and ask him to tell you when he received your fob (US Postal Service notified me almost 3 weeks after delivery and he did not tell me until I texted him through eBay). Also ask him to supply Tracking information for the return. He had trouble getting from his home to his workshop due to the pandemic restrictions. He had to wait until the weekend to go to his shop to get this.

Overall, I am quite pleased. Hope you have a similar result.
Cheers,

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should add that he replaced the 2 microswitches, sent a new generic fob, and new batteries. He returned the old microswitches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hope I will have the same success as I sent him my fob key 6 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. I am in Indonesia though, maybe took a lot longer if ever for the shipment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn’t see fob key repair at Marty-NZ at p38webshop.co.uk Now I only have the valet key so I wonder if I can be saved by somebody other than JLR (who has replied to my inquiry with around USD 1,000 for new fob keys).

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
I don't currently advertise doing key fob repair, but am looking into offering it as a service in the future. I'm trying to find a decent source of replacement cases for them.

Myself and a fellow p38 owner are working on being able to offer replacement aftermarket keys - but it's a fairly long process to work out a way of doing it with a microcontroller that has low current draw etc so battery life will last a decent length of time!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi All,

I sent, via the US Postal Service (which I applaud), a generic fob with my original circuit board and broken off unlock microswitch to Jon Dean in the UK from Memphis, TN USA. This was the day that the UK and Ireland were added to the Travel Ban list (March 16, 2020). It took about 5 weeks to get it back (c. April 25th), RuiRR. He had trouble getting to his workshop due to the shutdown in the UK. I had to prompt him to give me a Tracking Number from the Royal Mail. It was like this thought did not occur to him.

As I did not send him my key, he reassembled it with 2 new microswitches mounted to my original circuit board, but did not glue the fob back together. I exchanged my original key for the blank one that comes with the generic key fob he supplies. That was 2 months ago. Works a treat!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I called main JLR dealer in Indonesia to ask for the Key Codes. Turned out that they are not authorized to pull that code, neither the radio code and EKA. Here’s the screenshot:

any idea what to do next? I can’t send out the BECM because that will mean weeks or even months to return.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts