RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to finalize my purchase and pick up my 1999 Rover 4.0 tomorrow. I was very excited until today. I visited a friend of mine who works at an Acura dealership and he (along with several others who work their including a Service tech who worked for Land Rover for 7 years) highly advised me not to go through with the purchase. They said that the repair and maintenance costs on Rovers are astronomical, and that single repairs can be in the thousands of dollars. I am very torn right now because I have always wanted a Rover and was less than 24 hours away from picking mine up. I would appreciate any info you guys could provide about your experiences with repair and maintenance costs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If you have your work done at a dealership, it will likely get expensive. If you like to do a little DIY, they aren't too bad. Access is generally easy, parts for P38 or no longer expensive, and the repair process covered well on this site. I related RR's to owning a sporting breed dog. If you are willing to get off your butt and work, they will reward you. Ignore them and they will misbehave. Of course I own both and they pair well, Range is best dog car ever!

·
Registered
23 Posts
:clap: Very well put, I own both as well, my German Shorthaired Pointer won't allow me to be lazy and neither will the Range...so far, both are lots of fun though.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Tons of stuff on here. They will run to 200,000 or more from what I've read on here. There are so many enthusiast fixes and rebuilt parts available and used parts that make repairs less expensive. As long as you can do most of the niggely jobs [which means everything but the motor and tranny] you should be ok. Is it a bosch or gems rangie. Newer means slightly fewer issues. Might as well do it. Cheers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can be expensive, I would rather spend money on something I like and want than a domestic or asian import. Neither match up to my Rover IMO. Solid axles and REAL wood grain are not offered in other vehicles.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
ThreeCups said:
I visited a friend of mine who works at an Acura dealership and he (along with several others who work their including a Service tech who worked for Land Rover for 7 years) highly advised me not to go through with the purchase
There is your problem, they work at dealerships....
Have a look through ANY FORUM and see how little faith people have in the dealership's, no matter the brand.
It is very cost effective for me, doing most of my own work. We have put @50k miles on ours, and never needed to visit a dealership.

Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
This is what I tell all of my friends regarding buying a LR:
If you can turn a wrench and use the search button, jump on them. They're the best deal in the used car market.
If you have never changed your own oil and never will... better off passing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts