RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I wanted to buy a range rover from a guy for just under $4000 however he says its already having problems. can anyone tell me how much it would be to repairs these issues maybe a good guesstimate

Thank you

04 Range Rover HSE Mileage is approximately 129000 + , r
replaced the spark plugs and found that the valve cover gaskets need replacement as they are filling up several spark plug holes with oil.
Clean title and not currently registered or insured. This vehicle has the M62 BMW engine, 4.4 Ltr. All power Equip. It has a crack in the windshield and the check engine light is on with P 0308 code (intermittent miss Cyl # 8). I also smell some fuel in the oil so it may have a fuel problem. it has an O2 sensor problem. It recently developed an engine oil leak as well. The transmission is in the limp home mode. (starts off in 4th gear and stays there.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
All this info is at your finger tips using search and google. Valve gaskets are easy and the misfires are from the oil in the plug wells. You most like have a coil going bad due to the oil issue. Transmission may be something simple or something requiring replacement. It will need to be hook up and see what tranny codes come up if any.

We have no idea where you are located so idea who to point you for parts. However if you look up parts on any of your local websites you can get part numbers and google for better pricing. no way anyone could estimate labour... again it varies by region and who you go to.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
welcome to the site. the rrtoad has graciously advised you well. if you can do a lot of your own repairs then the car might be worth it if for example the body is mint and requires no more than a proper detail. other issues like the tranny could well be part of the engine leakage issues-misfires generally equal unburnt fuel which is not good for these engines as some have mentioned overfueling and cranking cause damaged bores which are then not repairable. Maybe have to do an arrangement with the seller Fix the the leaks, see if the misfire codes go away-do a compression test and then see if tranny ok. these cars are only worth maybe 6000-7000 cdn if you are lucky so U S prices are probably 4000-5000 in half decent condition. But if you are up for it you could be in for a real adventure and have some rewards out of it. amhik.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
384 Posts
To be brutally honest here the smell of fuel in the oil means fuel got past the piston rings. Which means bores got scored bad. This tells me that you have one or few bad injectors that you have yet to notice. Dont worry about valve cover gaskets job til you do few things. Do a compression test on all cylinders. Use one of those snake camcorders to view footage of the cyclinder walls. I vouch the misfire you are after is most likely due to low compression and stuck open injector and bad bore sorry to break it to you. The m62 block is a pain when maintenances are neglected by previous owners who cant afford services but want to drive around a high end truck. If you find low compressions, I would rebuild or look for a donor used engine to swap where you could do timing chain guides and other preventative maintenances before mounting it for peace of mind or tell the owner of that truck to kick rocks.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Everything they have stated is spot on. I will add the following: Worse case scenario the engine is toast and the tranny is toast. Truck is worth $500-$1500.00.

Best possible outcome (assuming the truck is really clean and the tires are good ($1,000 for tires if not): Windshield for mine was $350-400. Valve cover gaskets are about $20 a side. Assuming oil in the spark plug tubes is the cause of the misfire. O2 sensor are about $60.00 (you may want to do all 4), but maybe the misfire is the cause of the bad O2 as it was never fixed causing it to fail quicker. Possibly it is fine and the misfire is causing the code. Assuming the oil leak is not the rear main seal or other intrusive expensive labor repair but the valve cover gasket you have already done these. But oil leak may also be caused by the Vanos solenoid seals, about $8 each. Transmission may just need a new filter and fluid. Figure $150 for filter and oil. A new coil is around $50.00.

Another note: You need to look at the service history to see if the timing guides have been done, if not these most likely will fail shortly with the miles the truck has. Add another $400-600 in parts.

Those are your dollar figures - could be one or the other or somewhere in between.

My mechanic asked me what do you call a German Engine that doesn't leak?

I said - impossible - he smiled and said "empty".

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would concur with everything that has already been stated in the thread.

That said, I think the most important thing to think about is this:

• This 2004 Range Rover is $4,000 with high mileage and an unknown repair bill in order to get it up & running.
  • How much would a 2004 with high mileage in good, running condition cost in your area?
  • Ask yourself if you want a fun project to get the car back in good order or if you really just want a Range Rover that's ready to go.
  • If it's the latter, then I think increasing your budget and looking for a better example would be a more feasible, and satisfying, option.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Well you had loads of good advice.
129 k is not high mileage, it means they have done less than 10 a year.

to add my 2 cts.. find the nearest indies and do a proper diagnostic. Not leave the car but you check it over with them. here this would cost you 50 USD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts