RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Past weekend I wrapped my 92' rrc wood trim with pvc foil.It is simple,much more cheaper and you can choose from variety of colors.

Equipments needed;

-Craft knife or scissors
-Pvc wrapping foil (try to use matte colors,gloss will show any imperfections on surface)
-Heat gun
-Post forming adhesive
-Solvent or thinner
-Brush for adhesive
-Piece of cloth

Steps;

1.Remove trim,its clipped,pull gently from edges,
2.If you want to make it more secure for the clips behind,groove a line on a wood and put trim on it ,it will make your job a lot easier,
3.Clean it using solvent or thinner,
4.Start dry sanding with 800 grid,you will start to see every crack or scratch on it,do it until you get a nice even surface,dont bother to remove all cracks since foil will hide many of them,
5.You can fill holes with paste; wait for it to dry then sand it again,
6.Sand it with 1200 grid or higher ,you can use water,
7.Clean it again with solvent or thinner,
8.Find a clean place,there should be no dust in environment or on the trim,
9.Put wood on the foil and cut the foil wider then wood.Remember we will wrap it around.
9.Now use post forming adhesive (they are used in laminate industry like they use on kitchen counters).Adhesive is very important,do not try any common glues on the market because usually pvc is laminated with a lot heat with press , if there is none ,it will come off later. But with this one or similar you can do it.Add thinner like 30%-40% no big deal .Using a brush, spread it evenly both on wood and back of pvc.Wait for 10-15 mins.In the mean time ready your heat gun.
10.Put foil in the center of the wood.Start rubbing using your hand or a cloth.Use heat gun every where you stroke.Use heat as much as you can it will make it hold better and you can turn edges much more easily.You will get the feeling.Be careful with the edges too much heat and pvc will get too soft and wrinkle.
11.After wrapping all sides cut the excessive foil and wait for it dry at least couple of hours before put it back in.

(If you have a hard time on finding pvc foil,I can send you any color with no charge,you pay only for shipment.)

Feel free to ask any questions, hope this helps,thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Really cool. This one would have been great for a video! For example, I'd be a little nervous about pulling the panel off w/o seeing how you do it.....Cracked or aged panels seem to be a common theme. I'd liked to replace mine (as the pieces shown seem beyond repair) and was wondering if anyone had done this before and what the best way to go about it is.

Pics:
1. Right driver's door panel
2. Shifter
3. Power windows
4. Passenger's door panel
5. Passenger's door panel up close

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am in the process of refinishing all the wood trim in my 1990 County. The coating was very cracked and actually some of the veneer was peeling. I used a heat gun, torch and Dremel sander to get it down to the bare wood.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

After all the veneer was removed, I used body filler glazing putty to smooth out and fill in the cracks. I then wet sanded until smooth as glass.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The above pictures show all the pieces ready for refinishing. I plan on having them Hydro-dipped with the same wood grain as the original.

Currently these are being finished. As soon as I get them back, I'll post pictures of the finished product.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Paparrover- That is awesome. Have no idea what hydro dipped is but do you think it will look as good as original? Why didin't you just buy knew pieces? Are they are to take off and put back on?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get it from veneering companies.They are used in wrapping mdf panels,wooden profiles like skirting profiles etc.They should give that much of it for free.If you can't find it, I can send it to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's another way of doing it.I love watching how hydrodip is done.Always cool.But I have no idea about durability. Curious about the results,keep us posted..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I already removed everything in car.But from the pictures it seems that cracks are on veneer. I know it is scary but start from narrow of wood ,stick a screw driver from edge (the ones on doors) and see how stretch.It should pop off.Then slowly move on to next clip.There should be some tips or diy on internet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The narrow wood trim on the doors are installed with about 4-5 plastic "pop-in" clips. A trim tool makes it easier to remove. As crew driver will work fine if done carefully. A stiff blade putty knife will work too if your careful.

I was going to try and get wood veneer and do mine, but after speaking with some more experienced cabinet makers, I looked for other options.

Here is a link to the hydro-dipping process: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=naf8D86YyCM

·
Registered
49 Posts
Finally got the call that my wood trim was ready for pick up. See photo's. Not a perfect match to the original, but pretty close. The coating/wood is coated with a PPG clear urethane. Will start installing them this weekend.
IMG_20140529_152443893.jpg

IMG_20140529_152455036.jpg
IMG_20140529_152504454.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Finally got the call that my wood trim was ready for pick up. See photo's. Not a perfect match to the original, but pretty close. The coating/wood is coated with a PPG clear urethane. Will start installing them this weekend.
View attachment 75481

View attachment 75473
View attachment 75465

Paparrover - I can't believe how that looks - really incredible - can you tell us how much it cost to have all of those pieces hydro-dipped in the burlwood veneer/pattern?

Thanks - SMD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Paparrover, that looks nice.
I have a few RR Classics and they will need this at some point.
I've also saved some of the trim from one I'm parting out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It cost me $350.00. If I was keeping the truck for myself as a toy, I may have done something else. Since I'm restoring it to re-sell, I wanted to go with a professional finish.

There was a lot of prep work involved. The pieces had to be very smooth so the imperfections didn't show on the finished product.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It cost me $350.00. If I was keeping the truck for myself as a toy, I may have done something else. Since I'm restoring it to re-sell, I wanted to go with a professional finish.

There was a lot of prep work involved. The pieces had to be very smooth so the imperfections didn't show on the finished product.
That's pretty steep, but from the pictures, those trim pieces look fresh from the factory.......! Is this the 90 SWB County you have pix of in your garage? Is that "Aegean Blue"? It appears to be the same color as my 93 SWB Sport.

Interested to see how you sorted out that pretty major roof damage.

SMD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine is Clearwater Mettalic Blue.

I found another RR in a junkyard and bought a roof and had it painted to match mine. Here is how it looks like now. Still a little bit to finish.
image.jpg
image.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts