RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been told by my local garage my compressor is not working properly. The pump is giving some air but it is taking a long time to fill the system. I have stripped it and checked the seal. It does not seem too badly worn, but the cylinder fell easily from the piston when I took the the long securing out. It seems to me that there should be some friction present - sufficient to hold the cylinder in place when the unit is inverted. Am I correct in these thoughts and should the seal be replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have decided to go ahead and replace seal with the 'second generation' seal on offer on Ebay. The seals are advertised as superior to the OE teflon seal and self lubricating. The supplier appears to be the Dutch firm who have published the very helpful photo guidelines. Does anybody have any info on the claims for these new seals please?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
I needed to replace the cylinder, so bought the cylinder and seal from I believe, LandRover Winkel in the Netherlands. I think the guy was called Goswin.
Absolutely first rate parts and service.
The piston pressure is so high, that I cam hardly keep my finger over the outlet valve, and the compressor certainly runs less since the replacement.
By the way, I am not related or work for Goswin `)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Yes, it's time for a new one. The "loose" fit is a sign that the discharge reed-valve is leaking by, a new oring and a good cleaning is needed or it will happen again.

Yes, his name is Goswin, the new black cylinders work great, but are expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts