RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Yeah ...no John Candy like issues. Heard somewhere on ths forum that folks were having the backfire issue, could be mistaken.

NO popping either, sounds like a nice flowing rumble ....

I say knock knock out all the LR mufflers and either use a aftermarket muffler with straight pipes all the way through. Forgot to mention a special thank you to Paul on recommending I go this route.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
Vroom Vroom! `) :clap: :clap:

Glad it worked out T!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
recap: I had taken out the OEM peices, magnaflow muffler in the center with straight pipes and a tip in the rear. Nice rumble, but the drone just got to me. Fast forward to 2013. Got so **** sick of the drone -

On a quest to quiet things down I ordered a Borla Cat Back. What a mistake. Front part of the install went fine. Then on the rear, the hangers were not aligned. So based on so many good reviews and wanting a borla, the shop cut the hangers and aligned it. Now the rear system and tips wobbled too much - so they added more hangers. Excited on the new install - leaving the shop, the system was giving a vibration in the center dash somewhere. Type low end resonance that caused vibration - only while in drive and with the brake pressed. Regardless left the shop. The drone was worse than my set up with magnaflow. Don't get me wrong, I felt I had more power, which I know is not the case, but the drone was worse and I had to put it in "N" at every stop light to stop the vibration. Called Borla, they sent me 2 attachments to be welded on the pipes that would constrict the flow. Now on top of my original install cost - I had to pay to install this add-on. When I called Borla back on how to install - the guy did not know how this attachment should be fitted - he then said either in the front or back. This mod did not do anything.

Frustrated, PJP to the rescue. Asked him about some options, even possibly taking everything down and doing a Borla XS muffler.

With PJP's help, sourced Borla's Resonated tip. I went back with the OEM muffler and resonator in the center, and put the Borla resonated tips on.

This made a huge difference. Vehicle is so much quieter, there is a slight rumble heard on the outside only , sounds sporty, not the "tingy" like noise of the full OEM system.

This experiment cost me a lot of money with the various installs and to ship t back to Amazon. At the end, I'm much happier.

Really disappointed with Borla. Not sure if their quality has gone down since the initial set of folks who installed it.

Summary from a guy who did it all - cut the cans the rear - go with resonated tips and save yourself a lot of money. Why did I not listen to Drevs.....

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE
80 Posts
I was thinking about doing this too, guess I will considering it is just $100ish.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
335 Posts
I'd really like to hear what both an n/a & s/c 2010+ sounds like with #7 deleted!!
Yeah so would I, I have 2011 SC, im planning on doing the same thing, just dont want it to effect the SC power, I was told be a shop that builds custom exhaust for race cars, that it will allow it to breath a lot better, but burn more gas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the 08 RR Supercharged, is it still ok to remove the #7? If so, I plan on having the #7 removed next weekend. Does anyone know what the pipe size that I will be replacing the deleted section with?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok all done, removes #7 on my 5.0 supercharged and was impressed with the sound, it seemed a little too much of a (SRT8-ish) but I do have two K&N filter installed! Here are some pics and a sound vid for you guys, tell me what you think

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
I tried to do the sound clip but the forum doesn't except that format

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had #7 cut off the 08 RRS today. It cost me $40 at Delta Muffler. I'm gonna try to get a sound clip uploaded tomorrow. Anyone have a suggestion on how to do it?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Seeing how there is very little detail about exhaust modding on the internet, ive recently pulled the trigger on a super sprint non-resonated xpipe. I found this to be the most cost efficient way to get the sound I want from the v8. The X-pipe costed me around 1400 Canadian dollars including Installation. The good part about this mod is that there is no hack job required to get it to fit with your stock left and right exhaust mufflers. I also like the fact that I got to keep my Square autobiography tips and gain the sound of ... kinda exactly a c63. The pipe gives you the raspy rumble a v8 with an x pipe produces. This is for the people that doesnt want trouble with hacking the original exhaust and dealing with "going back to stock". The good news for those of you in america is that you can get my pipes for 700 dollars + tax. I hope this gives you guys another option for those of you wanting to beef up the noise level!

·
Registered
8 Posts
So for those who have done this, does it make it louder too or just throatier? I have a 4.4 that I want more throatiness too, but I like how tame the volume level is. Headers instead maybe?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did this to my '11 rrss (#7 removed), also have k&n filters in. Still quiet when cruising, no drone.. however when you hit, it is loud. Very throaty, sounds very similar to a few E55 Amg's or Cts-V's I have heard. I love it, will post some clips this week.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Banned
531 Posts
sounds broken or as if you have an exhaust leak... i made the mistake of installing an exhaust on the SC i owned and i instantly regretted it. wound up putting the stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks agreed! I am still blown away with how great it sounds opened up.
yea, just #7 was removed. no highway drone, it is basically still very quiet inside unless you purposely want to hear it.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts