RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Good luck finding a skilled technician at Midas who can bend the pipe with the right diameter
That what I was thinking. If you're going to replace the whole system, replace it with a prefab system like the Borla. Trying to replicate the factory routing at a muffler shop is going to leave you upset. I speak from experience.

I still say that ditching the #7 and splicing in ~20" of straight tubing is the best bang for the buck, esp if you already have nice tips (HST, S/C, etc)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently cut off 7 and welded in 2 straight pipes. Great deep mean sound, my friend has the new XKR and they sound alot a like. No drone or anything at cruising RPMs, although pretty loud in the high range. I think its perfect personally because you baby it and its not loud or obnoxious at all or you can stomp on it and it will come alive and turn heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
on my 06 RRS S/C I took the muffler and the all resonators off and installed upfront 2.50" magna flow stainless steel x pipe part# (10791) following that I did flowmaster 2.50" 2 chamber muffler part#(9525454) and for the tips I did magna flow stainless steel 4" rolled lip part# (35164). By installing the xpipe it reduces the interior noise by alot, as for the exterior it sounds quiet on idle with little rumble and at W.O.T it sounds like a range rover on steriods. Im trying to upload the video up. All together I spent with install and parts $875.00. I could've gone with the borla but I wanted something different.

·
Registered
458 Posts
nopsi I did something similar... removed both stock muffler and resonator and added a 2.5" dia. magnaflow... but I got the 24" or 28" or whatever the big one is, fearing it'd be too loud without TWO mufflers.

So now it does sound quite nice at WOT, and at just above idle it has a nice grumble, but at around 1400-1800 i have crazy bad resonance to the point that between 50-60mph cruising I find myself downshifting to 5th, even maintaining constant speed on flat roads is a nuisance, never mind very gentle acceleration. I think if I went with an appropriately sized muffler I would have been better off...

ahh live an learn. I'm just going to get my original exhaust setup welded back together so i have the stocker intact and normal, and go with the borla. My friend did all the work (tig welded mandrel bent pipes the works) so it only ran me $230 for the muffler shipped to Canada.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ok so now i got a qoute for 240 for crush bent stainless and 160 for crush bent non stainless
noone around here has a manderal bender.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you have someone who can weld and doesn't mind spending a bit of time, you can get pre-bent mandrel piping and they can use it to make the bends necessary to connect the pipes you're trying to connect.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just had my resonator (#7 on the first page) removed today from meineke for $130. Overall I'm pretty satisfied, took them about an hour and the sound is actually a little louder than I had imagined. Its very deep when taking off from a stop but on the freeway there is no drone and you can barely hear it. Start up is a nice rumble that settles down to being barely noticeable. I'd have to describe the sound when taking off to be about two-thirds as loud as a escalade/denali with the borla (I hear those all the time haha)

·
Registered
213 Posts
My range is at the shop now getting #7 hacked off. I'll probably post up a video when it's all ready...I am excited though, I've gone 18 months with the stock exhaust :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
If anybody cares for an update, I took it off and it sounds amazing. Not too loud at all when driving normal, sounds the same at highway, but pushing that pedal down makes it roar.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just out of curiosity, where are you getting it done? I called up a Midas and a Meineke and they were like...why start chopping up your brand new exhaust rather then trying to get me in to the shop to make some money off me. I think maybe going to a more specialty shop might be better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got this done on Wednesday for $60.00 as opposed to buying a Borla system for $1k, and it sounds the same to me. If you are in LA, use Sweeney's Mufflers in Torrance 90503.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got the #7 removed at Sweeney's in Torrance for $60 also. Man o man, sounds great. Beats spending a G for an aftermarket piece. Thanks again guys for all the information. Peace

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey lewisracing. After your removed that resonator, do you experience backfire from your exhaust? When i'm using the Sport Shift and i'm in 1st or 2nd gear and I raise the rpms to say 3-5k and let off the gas, around 2k rpm, i hear a loud backfire. I looked at the straight pipes that they installed and the diameter of the pipe is smaller than the original size diameter. Would that cause the backfire? Anybody experience the backfire after removing the big resonator? Please help. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
this is wht i did to mine i took out my rez and my two little mufflers you have by ur tips and took the big muffler out and put a flow master it sounds sick also a elite it sounds perfect not to loud and not to quite if you want it louder make ur piping bigger and i got a lot of complements about it

·
Registered
213 Posts
blazink5 said:
Hey lewisracing. After your removed that resonator, do you experience backfire from your exhaust? When i'm using the Sport Shift and i'm in 1st or 2nd gear and I raise the rpms to say 3-5k and let off the gas, around 2k rpm, i hear a loud backfire. I looked at the straight pipes that they installed and the diameter of the pipe is smaller than the original size diameter. Would that cause the backfire? Anybody experience the backfire after removing the big resonator? Please help. Thanks so much.
I get backfire too on mine, I think it was always there but just not noticeable. In all honesty I think it sounds sweet, but maybe that's just because I'm a teenager.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Folks - updated my exhaust and it sounds much better and does not seem to be any issues.

I had all the stock muffler peices chopped off. Replaced the 2 mufflers up front with a Magnaflow Muffler ( Part # 12568) which would be the same muffler in the full Cat Back system. Only cost me ($108). The muffler is bigger so both the round muffler and heart shaped silencer\resonator needs to come out.

At the back, took off the 2 cans and replaced with straight pipes and oval tips to finish it off.

There is a nice rumble from outside, no vibrations \ backfire etc. The cabin is still quiet, good enough to take my conference calls still.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Forumnoob said:
blazink5 said:
I get backfire too on mine, I think it was always there but just not noticeable. In all honesty I think it sounds sweet, but maybe that's just because I'm a teenager.

When you say backfire, do you mean the popping on deceleration? If so, then I always enjoyed that on my '03 Cobra with Magnaflows. When I think of the word 'backfire', I think of John Candy's car in Uncle Buck that would sound like a shotgun before he turned it off. This I would NOT want.

I am also considering hacking only #7 off (the suitcase-sized exhaust located directly underneath), because I've heard clips and it sounds pretty good.

21 - 40 of 144 Posts