RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to beef up my exhaust sound for my RRS SC.

Before I decide on which exhaust to order would anybody suggest removing the resonator as a cheaper and better option?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Why wouldn't you?
It'll cost you $100 or less, and if you don't like it, an aftermarket system would replace it anyways. I would have done that myself had I thought of it.
Just make sure you remove the right piece. It's the second big muffler thing (sits underneath the rear seats) that you want to cut out and replace with straight tubing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ierrahh said:
I want to beef up my exhaust sound for my RRS SC.

Before I decide on which exhaust to order would anybody suggest removing the resonator as a cheaper and better option?
What if u just take the mufflers off?? Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did it....

I did it recently and don't regret it at all. No codes and a nicer, little more aggressive sound. I added turbo tips and that's why I resolved to do this. The pro at Meineke showed me both options to consider when adding the tips. By removing the back resonator the lines were far cleaner.

Enjoy.

JJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
I removed both #8's and it is more aggressive sounding for sure. I doubt there's any performance gains as it's just resonator so there was little back pressure.

JJ

·
Registered
173 Posts
Guys- The #8 rear cans are the way to go, you CAN"T go wrong. On my RRSport (not S/C) I had those taken off and S/C tips installed and the tone is perfect. Nice idle, nice tone with your foor in it, while cruising nothing to bug.....and its almost free expt. for tips.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Only Umberto would have a picture just lying around of the full exhaust system sitting on a guy's garage floor AND a schematic of every piece. You're amazing... I am not worthy... :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Murdered Out said:
i took of 8 and barely notice a change. I'm going to do 7 and also add also add larger piping all the way back.
I've gone down both these roads, so here's my 0.02....

The 8's are just flow through resonators. If you look down their length, there's nothing to them - removing them has minimal effect. They are there to decrease interior noise, apparently.

I'd say do not re-tube your rear system. Getting the bends just right is nearly impossible at a muffler shop, and you'll likely be left with places where it hits when going over bumps, etc. Larger diam pipe won't give you any increase in anything, except places where it bangs your undercarriage.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Drevs said:
Murdered Out said:
i took of 8 and barely notice a change. I'm going to do 7 and also add also add larger piping all the way back.
I've gone down both these roads, so here's my 0.02....

The 8's are just flow through resonators. If you look down their length, there's nothing to them - removing them has minimal effect. They are there to decrease interior noise, apparently.

I'd say do not re-tube your rear system. Getting the bends just right is nearly impossible at a muffler shop, and you'll likely be left with places where it hits when going over bumps, etc. Larger diam pipe won't give you any increase in anything, except places where it bangs your undercarriage.
Unless the shop has the ability to do mandrel bend. Otherwise going to a bigger tube and the crease that it has without the mandrel bend will just create less flow and more turbulence on the system and of course you want enough back pressure as well :) It is the smooth exhaust flow that will make the spent gasses get out faster on the exhaust.

Pokerplayer

G

·
0 Posts
That's good to know, I contacted a few places and found someone who has the a mandrel bender. I never really thought about it from that perspective.

Just for future referance, nearly every Midas has a mandrel bender.

G

·
0 Posts
the sections that i removed only required two straight pipes in the place of it, no bends in the piping (at least i think i remember that)... hmm i remember i have pics of it, i will find them and post them...

G

·
0 Posts
I was talking about adding larger diamter piping from the #7 resinator upto the exhast tips. which require a few bends

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Good luck finding a skilled technician at Midas who can bend the pipe with the right diameter and not crimp it at the bends. Before I bought the Borla, I thought about doing this #7 and #8 mod...frankly, the Borla is 100 times better, is much lighter and sounds better, and the bends are pure, without any crimping.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
About this Discussion
143 Replies
102 Participants
kdavis61
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing