RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the plastic rear upper quarter panels? How is it done? Do you have to remove the upper hatch struts? TIA

PTM

G

·
0 Posts
Are you referring to the E Pillars, the textured trim on either side of the tailgate? If so, its not necessary to remove the tailgate struts, just remove 3 or 4 screws that secure each of them. From there, they just pull off. I used a flathead screwdriver to prise while I pulled, using the strut as leverage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi - This is a timely thread for me because I want to restore the finish to these. I have just received some Back for Good in the post from the UK - I might also try the Krylon Fusion paint suggested by Shupack but I have only sourced one mob here in Australia that carry it but they only sell on a wholesale basis so waiting to hear how much I have to buy from them.

Anyway, my question is I thought that these panels were fixed somehow to the rear glass and because of that you couldn't get them off. I had enquired with Land Rover and was told that if I wanted new ones I had to get the glass as well which was prohibitively expensive.

I haven't got my Ranger at the moment otherwise I'd duck outside and try to get them off - she is away having the mother of all performance engine rebuilds and I won't have it back for about another week. But would be good to know that I can take the panels off and do the job that way.

Cheers

Andy
Melbourne

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,366 Posts
I did mine recently to fix a loose quarter window trim.

The forward edge of the rear pillar trim fits around the glass.

After removing the screws, I placed a length of wood along the edge at the glass and tapped the wood backward lightly with a hammer to dislodge the trim.

·
Registered
640 Posts
andyaa said:
I had enquired with Land Rover and was told that if I wanted new ones I had to get the glass as well which was prohibitively expensive.
Load of "Cobblers" they are avaliable seperately, but they are not cheap £140.00 each in the U.K.

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
The trim part that the dealer was probably referring to is the one on top, bottom, and part of the D pillar, that surrounds the other 3 sides of the quarter window, thats only available with the glass. Im in the process of repainting the trim as well, except I removed every piece of it. I wouldn't recommend sanding your E pillars because of the texture, I just wiped mine down with laquer thinner, then painted and they turned out real nice. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the replies and also the thread link qrover.

Max - what paint product did you use? I'd like to restore not only the textured E pillar trims (as I now know they're called) but also all of the plastic trim down the side - any tips on getting the rest of the trim off or doing this work generally. Does anyone have or know where I can get an exlpoded parts diagram with the pillar trims name ('A' 'B' etc.) so that I can marry what I read in various threads (and other websites) with the part referred to. I was flicking through a CD Rome of Rave but couldn't find it.

I bought some Back For Good from Spautopia in the UK for this work who say that it works best on acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic - does anyone know what the plastic external trim on our Rangers is made of and whether or not it is ABS? Don't want to use it if it won't work.

Thanks

Andrew

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,366 Posts
Max said:
The trim part that the dealer was probably referring to is the one on top, bottom, and part of the D pillar, that surrounds the other 3 sides of the quarter window, thats only available with the glass.
Yes, that's what I understand. One of my trims had been removed by the dealer (for previous owner) to fix a leak in the rear window. The dealer glued it back on with some sort of heat softening mastic that kept dribbling down the window. I got sick of it and pulled it off, cleaned it all up, and reglued it to the window.

G

·
0 Posts
Andrew,

I used Rustoleum Sandable Primer spray and then Duplicolor Trim Paint. I also got a aerosol spray gun thing which made it much easier. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6129&familyName=Bondo+EZ+Finish+Aerosol+Spray+Trigger
If you don't have one you should also get a panel popper for removing the bodyside moldings and the door sill finishers. The bodyside moldings on the doors each have a rubber nut on the inside of the door holding them on, then 4 or 5 plastic pop clips. Make sure to be careful when removing the window trim, there's a screw on the inside of each door holding them on, and they sit inside a channel on the door. Pull straight up on them and you should be able to remove them without breaking the plastic part that holds them in the channel, I managed to break every single one of mine so will have to glue them back on. I didn't sand any of the rubber trim, just used laquer thinner to clean it. For exploded views I find Microcat to be better, which you can get here http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=29

Ron,

What type of glue did you use when you glue the piece back on? Mine had a black goop substance on it, im assuming its something specific for windshields and glass. Thanks.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,366 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies. I removed and painted them yesterday with Krylon fusion matte black. They look ten times better! Refit was a piece of cake but removal took a little persuading...

Cheers

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for your response Max - much appreciated. Regards Andrew

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Gee, you're all lucky cos the ones I've seen over here the glass normally breaks as the adhesive is so strong where its attached to the panel on the front edge....

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,366 Posts
viperover said:
Gee, you're all lucky cos the ones I've seen over here the glass normally breaks as the adhesive is so strong where its attached to the panel on the front edge....
I didn't think there was any adhesive there. There wasn't on either quarter panel on mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts