Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must like working on Land Rovers as I have purchased a second Range Rover, a 2000 Autobiography with a disabled engine. The logic board is at Marty's to have its brain re-set and then I hope to have a fully working RR (ha,ha). In the meantime I have removed the Alpine radio so that I can take it to the dealer where they will use the serial number to give me the radio code. In trying to get the radio out I did a search here which brought up only a few posts and no photos. I also looked at a couple of YouTube videos but still could not get the radio out using the shims I was seeing. I finally pulled the whole thing out, radio and retaining box. Thought I would post a couple photos to show what you are up against. Basically the shims you slide into the slots are supposed to depress a hook and then the radio slides out. There is a downward facing ramp on the front of the springy bar which holds the hook up. Your shim has to slide over this ramp and then all the way to the back to depress the hook fully. If the ramp has been bent upwards you may not be able to get the shim to slide over it.In that case maybe using a thinner shim and angling it upwards might get you over the ramp. Note that the photos are taken with the retaining box slid back. Hope this helps someone in the future.

IMGP3231.JPG IMGP3230.JPG

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the same issue with mine. The spring on one side was too high for the tool to depress it. Lots of swearing and pulling involved.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I gave up on shims and used 2 jigsaw blades. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the springs are distorted and the shims don't slot in, another way is to remove the console surround which comes out with the cubby hole (or sat nav screen on later ones) and that gives access to the top of the stereo. Then you can push the springs down with a screwdriver and slide it out that way.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I have some aircraft feeler gauges I use on Alpines. Just the right width and I grab the thickest one and pop one side free then pop the other side free. Less than 5 seconds even when the retaining tabs are boogered up. I like the idea of the base of jig saw blades! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I made a couple of shims out of old hacksaw blades. I posted pictures on here but they have disappeared. pm me and I can email them if wanted.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a couple of shims out of old hacksaw blades. I posted pictures on here but they have disappeared. pm me and I can email them if wanted.
I probably read your earlier post as I did grind down a hacksaw blade to fit the slot but I had no luck with that. As the pictures were missing I decided to post a new note with some photos. No luck with the proper shims either as I think one of my retainers was bent up and therefor the shim would not go over the top. I ended up just pulling the whole assembly out and bending the retainers so that the shims would now work. In one of the posts I looked at there was a recommendation to curve the shim downwards. I don't think this should really be necessary if the retainers are not bent out of shape.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I made a tool from a hanging file folder. Take the metal out, cut in half, two tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts