RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is this to do? I'm pretty much (80%) sure I'm going to buy a certain range rover sport this weekend, however it is fitted its the running strips along the roof (front to back) and the cross bars (side to side) - I didn't look closely at how these attached.. But the strips have me worried. My Disco II cross bars were easy to take off, but again I didn't have the strips to worry about.

I want this thing to be as clean as possible, so those are coming off ASAP. I did some searching and it sounds like some caps were removed to fit the strips? What do I need to ask the dealership and previous owner for? (it's on consignment...) if I need parts I'd rather order them now and get them on the way.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
You need an allen wrench to loosen either end of each crossbar. At this point the length of the crossbar is adjustable so you can now slide 'em to the middle and they pull right out. The roof rails are secured to the roof by 3 screws and some double sided tape on the ends. You'll see tiny plastic round covers with a little gap for you to lift them up to expose the screws. Lefty loosey x3 on each side plus maybe some hairy dryer action on the tape and off come the rails. The only thing you're missing are the plastic threaded inserts that were there when the truck was born. No big deal. Step back. Admire work. Open beer. Drink. Repeat last step as necessary.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phil. said:
Repeat last step as necessary.
:lol: thanks a lot!

..might bring a tool kit to the dealership :think: haha.

Any ideas on the size of the alen key needed? So the plastic threaded inserts you speak of are the items that hid the holes for the 3 screws on each side?

Also while we're on the subject, does the LR ski/snowboard rack attach to the rails the same way as the crossbars (ie. slide in at middle and adjust as needed, then tighten?)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey does anyone know what bolts are supposed to hold down the black trim pieces on the roof AFTER you remove the rails? Right now I'm using the rail bolts (which are too long, so I have to use the spacers too.. which looks freaking ugly) - are there black button head bolts that sit flatter on there when I remove the rails?! I might swing by my $tealership at lunch today.

I'm still contemplating selling mine, I'll let ya know - might want to keep them for the ski / snowboard system land rover has.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I just put on a set of rails and bars. There aren't any "bolts", per say, that go in the pre-drilled holes of '07 models onward; they are just plastic trim plugs. For '06, I'm not sure what was used.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey EstorilM,
I live in the NOVA area, so if you want to sell your rack let me know. You can have my "plugs" if you want to sell your rack.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a black 2006 sc and am taking a ski trip from Austin to New Mexico in a couple of weeks. Is there a difference in terms of instructions or steps required for a 2006 versus the other years? I'm alluding to an earlier post that implied perhaps there is a difference for model year 2006 only. Also, since I'm going to use the rack 1 to 3 times a year, is it practical to put the factory roof rail covers back on in between uses?

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Early build 06s didn't have pre-drilled holes to expose the holes the bolts go into. But my build is Feb 2006 and mine was pre-drilled. Easy enough to check. Looks at the rubber tracks that run the length of your roof. If its pre-drilled you'll see 3 round plastic discs on each. If its rubber all the way, then you need to pull the strip out to drill holes to expose the threaded holes the bolts screw into.

If by roof rail covers you mean the rubber tracks, you don't take them off. The roof rails sit on top of them. They're secured by three bolts and some tape on the ends. The cross bars easily come off and should come with a nice storage bag for in between uses. I would think most leave on the roof rails, but those come off easily too. That tape doesn't do a whole lot to keep the ends down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Phil,

Thanks for a message. My 2006 does not have any discs so I would have to drill the rubber rails to expose the bolt holes. I would like to remove the crossbars and rails when not hauling snowboards which is most of the time. If I have to buy another set of factory rubber tracks so be it. The parts guy said I don't want to remove the rails that go lengthwise on the roof but I really like the clean lines of the truck. Sounds like it might be a slight pain but is doable.

Mit

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phil,

Thanks for a message. My 2006 does not have any discs so I would have to drill the rubber rails to expose the bolt holes. I would like to remove the crossbars and rails when not hauling snowboards which is most of the time. If I have to buy another set of factory rubber tracks so be it. The parts guy said I don't want to remove the rails that go lengthwise on the roof but I really like the clean lines of the truck. Sounds like it might be a slight pain but is doable.

Mit
Let me know what you decide to do - I agree about the rails killing the lines of the 'sport, even if they're subtle. I need to figure out what to do about the holes in the rubber strips now - I have the bolts/spacers that were used to secure the rails in there, but they stick out above the rubber trim and look stupid (If I take them out, the rubber pieces aren't secured enough). Maybe I'll just have to tape them down. There's gotta be a nice black plastic cap or something that pushes into the threads or snaps into place?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
288 Posts
Any hardware store or auto parts house have these little fasteners in a variety of sizes. This is what originally comes on the roof holes from the factory for MY10 and up.

Pine_Tree_Fasteners.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Yep, same or similar on the '07-'09. They actually screw in/out easier than pulling/pushing too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any hardware store or auto parts house have these little fasteners in a variety of sizes. This is what originally comes on the roof holes from the factory for MY10 and up.

View attachment 7032
They will?! That's exactly what I was visualizing but I didn't know how to search for it haha..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts