RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing Mirror Cover on 2006 Range Rover HSE- Need some guidance to repair PWR FOLD

Hello Everyone,

My passenger side mirror is having issues with the power fold function. When I press the button, both mirrors close, but the passenger side mirror keeps trying to close after the operation is completed and creates a clicking noise (assuming it is wearing out the internal gears) until it finally stops. I want to open the mirror to take a look at the inner workings and see if there is a way I can fix this problem. Does anyone know how to disassemble the mirror? I tried to find some thread talking about this, but have had no luck. If one does exist I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: Removing Mirror Cover on 2006 Range Rover HSE- Need some guidance to repair PWR F

The problem you're describing is due to a bad micro switch in the fold motor, I am not aware of a way to repair this, but anything is possible.

You'll have to take the entire assembly apart. Remove the mirror from the door, remove the glass, you'll then be able to access the mirror movement motor. Remove that motor, there's a small cover on the bottom of the assembly and a screw under that. Once all that is disassembled, you'll be able to remove the housing and get to the fold motor.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Removing Mirror Cover on 2006 Range Rover HSE- Need some guidance to repair PWR F

The problem you're describing is due to a bad micro switch in the fold motor, I am not aware of a way to repair this, but anything is possible.

You'll have to take the entire assembly apart. Remove the mirror from the door, remove the glass, you'll then be able to access the mirror movement motor. Remove that motor, there's a small cover on the bottom of the assembly and a screw under that. Once all that is disassembled, you'll be able to remove the housing and get to the fold motor.

Thanks for the response. Is there any way to simply replace the micro switch or do I need to buy a replacement mirror?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

It's not available separately, but if you were so inclined, I'm sure it could be done, I have not done this before though. Replacement mirror is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,917 Posts

there were a few threads on here about someone else swapping in or simply adjusting the micro switch so the mirror returned to full function

·
Registered
50 Posts

When I pressed the mirror folding button, passenger side folds and driver side doesn't. I can still hear the micro server running but just won't engaged the driver side mirror.

managed to took the covered off and disassemble everything and put it back. Micro server running but not engaged the mirror to hold.

Pull the fuses and everything but nothing works.

Any thoughts there?

·
Registered
865 Posts

Yep,that's my "flapping" mirror issue I posted.

Using a torx driver, you can remove 4 screws inside a cover under the mirror. That removes the mirror. Next, remove 3 torx and the cover can be removed. Now, 4 more torx and the gear/motor assembly comes out. You will find the micro switch under the gear assembly. Straighten the metal arm on the switch...clean the gear assembly and regrease...and reassemble.

Oh, I did not bother unplugging the electrics, so the if cover stays dangling from the wires while you work on the switch and gear set on the bench.

Ice, yours sounds like it may be a stripped gear. That would not be fixable, but should be obvious when you took it apart.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Yep,that's my "flapping" mirror issue I posted.

Using a torx driver, you can remove 4 screws inside a cover under the mirror. That removes the mirror. Next, remove 3 torx and the cover can be removed. Now, 4 more torx and the gear/motor assembly comes out. You will find the micro switch under the gear assembly. Straighten the metal arm on the switch...clean the gear assembly and regrease...and reassemble.

Oh, I did not bother unplugging the electrics, so the if cover stays dangling from the wires while you work on the switch and gear set on the bench.

Ice, yours sounds like it may be a stripped gear. That would not be fixable, but should be obvious when you took it apart.
Did all that but doesn't do anything. When I pressed the button; I can see the microserver spinning.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

On my '07 which I recently acquired, one issue which I found when I inspected prior to purchase was that the drivers side mirror did not fold. It just made a clicking sound and moved about half an inch. I got them to knock off an additional $800 from the price because of that... just got around to having a look at it. There was not really any info in the service manual for how to disassemble the part which contains the fold motor, but I found that I was able to carefully pry open the bottom cover using a plastic shim.

Inside I found that there was a thick plastic clip which appeared to have broken off from somewhere inside where I could not see and somehow wedged itself into the mechanism! Perhaps the previous owner smacked it into something (there were also some scuff marks on the housing).

Anyway, I managed to pry that piece out with a dental pick, and then tried the fold button again... and it works perfectly now. I'm not sure where that plastic bit came from or if it was important but the mirror still seems quite solid and tight and the cover went back on without much trouble.

Just figured maybe this could help someone at some point. I thought I might need a new mirror, but at least for now, I don't :)

·
Registered
34 Posts

Without knowing if the 2006 mirrors are identical to the 2003. Look at this link. I have a BMW so i still hang out on the bimmer forums. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/64814-side-folding-mirror-fixed-pics.html. I thought my issue was the passenger but found out it was the driver. RoverGuy7 is right its usually the microswitch. I fixed mine and it lasted a day lol. But i now know whats wrong. Haven't had time to work more with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Pic 1 shows assembly IMG-20130926-00214.jpg Pic 2 shows my hitech tools, IMG-20130926-00215.jpg IMG-20130926-00221.jpg This isn't clear but what i did is use the razor blade to cleanly cut/remove the useless remaining plastic notches. Use the push pin to make a hole where the notches are, reassemble the metallic cover arm/clip that usually pops out. The hole you make on both sides where the notches were should allow you to see thru. Push the paper clip through fold one end, pull it back fold and cut to fit. I reassembled made sure the metallic arm moves freely and put it back in the cover as this pic shows IMG-20130926-00243.jpg and it works. I'll road test and report back in a couple of days now its of to bed. DISCLAIMER TIME!!! BY THE WAY THIS IS WHAT I CHOSE TO DO ON MY CAR AND I IN NO WAY ENDORSE DOING THIS IF YOU ARE UNSURE. IT TOOK ME 30 MINS. BECAUSE I KNOW MY CAR HAS BMW PARTS AND I KNOW THERE ARE NO ELECTRONICS THAT CAN BE DAMAGED WHERE THE OLD NOTCHES ARE IN THE BMW made L322 AND I LOVE LIVE AND ENTHUSE ABOUT BMW CARS

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Yeah my mirror was different. The 03-05 mirrors are not the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts