RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a 2011 RR Sport with active suspension. I'm trying to replace my front stabilizer bar links and bushings. Was able to replace the rears without too much effort, but the front assembly is giving me trouble. I can't get a socket on the top stabilizer link bolt - the access is too tight with the damper in the way. If I take the damper out do I need to depressurize the system or will the damper stay at the extension I removed it at if I have the battery disconnected? My concern is taking the damper out and having it extend on me, making it difficult to reinstall. I've looked at several Youtube videos on damper removal and replacement, and none indicate depressurizing the air suspension, but as always Youtube is a good guide, not gospel. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
The Ace bar is inactive when the car is off, you can just remove the bolts on the links. As for the upper one on the link it is a little work to get but i do it with a wrench a little at a time. I use needle nose vise grips to hold the shaft from spinning on the back side. I think you are referring to removing the strut. If you want, car jacked up with wheel hanging you can unbolt the bottom bolt on the strut and then remove the top bolts. There is a little room of movement before the air line goes tight (I thing about 2-3 inches) if you want to pull it down more you will need to loosen the air line fitting. This is where they want you to depressurize the system. I myself just loosen the line and let the air leak down before I remove it all the way. be carefull not to overtighten that fitting when reinstalling cuz it is brass and will strip. Snug is good.

The strut will have to be put back in with prybar and a jack to get the bottom bolt back in place. It drops a little more than downtravel of the suspension.

Hope my .02 helps answer your question.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does help - thank you. I was concerned about how far the damper/strut would extend if I loosened or removed it and it sounds like it does, but that it can be brought back in position for the lower bolt to be reinserted using a jack just like a normal shock. I don't have a lot of experience with air struts but it sounds like their action is roughly the same. Thanks for the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts