1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's not detailed in the manual...

I'm removing the fenders to paint.
The bolts holding the fender on are obvious and easily accessible except one.
It attaches a tab on the rear of the fender to a tab on the front hinge pillar.
It is visible when the front door is open.
Problem is that the head of the bolt is toward the front of the vehicle. It is not accessible from the door opening. (Practical joke from an assembly line worker???)
Removing the fender liner still does not provide access.
My thought is to remove all the other bolts, pull the fender back and try to reach from the wheel well. But, I am afraid of bending the fender.
I can't figure out how this was built on the line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I carefully removed as above.
It would have been easier with help to hold up front of fender. (and less risk of bending)
I don't think can put back this way, however I should be able to reverse the j-clip on the hinge pillar tab and insert the bolt from door opening.
This would be a much better design anyway.

·
Registered
666 Posts
by fender translate to UK I take it you mean 'bumpers'? Not sure I understand the tab and needing the door open to see it - have you managed to get the main mounting bolts - star shaped 'Torx' style - usually the biggest pain - if the bumpers have not been off for some time then the side stabilisers can firstly be unclipped and then bracket unbolted - my guess from the post is that someone has somehow bolted the bracket on from what you'd describe as the 'outer' edge - once the bumper has been off and cleaned and 'greased' you won't need to bother with unbolting the brackets - they simply slide on acting as a guide and stabilising the ends of the bumper - if you're still stumped upload a photo or 2

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
No, bumpers are the things up front and out back. Fenders are the things covering the front tyres. Y'all call them wings. In the rear we call them quarter panels.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Oh how we differ around the world in Aussie we call them Mudguards

·
Registered
110 Posts
mudguards... those are things that attach to the fenders.... you guys are a$$ backwards..... i guess that is what happens when you are upside down all the time on the bottom half of the planet:-D

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Who's right in the English stakes is debatable,but down under is great shelter from the ugly weather up top!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Since english is not my main language, my confusion is complete as I have no ide now what part of the car, gentleman started thread, talking about. Pic will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was the large aluminum body panel that covers the front tires (tyres).
Fender in US
Wing in UK.
Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts