RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ,
is there anyone who has experience with removing a broken off retaining clip for the rear airsprings :?:
i was trying to get my rear left airspring out, cause its leaking like crazy and left my car on its bumpstops with an EAS FAULT message in the display,but to my dismay :shock: the retaining clip broke due to corrosion and there is still a piece left in the top of the airspring :( .
I want to remove it ofcourse but i don't wanna damage the lines and cables lying behind the retaining clip of wich i'm afraid will happen when i try to punch the remainder of the clip trough and drilling it out doesn't seem like an option to me because you'll need a pretty lenghty 2mm drill wich will probably break on the first millimeter of drilling.
i'll be waiting anxiously for any response :pray:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Try a hammer and a nail, and just punch it through. But do tie the airline out of the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna try it in a couple of hours ,first i'll get a proper nail :thumb: ,i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No luck ,the pin is stuck like its welded in :x but i've got the new airspringbellow comin tomorrow and the guy from the shop told me to just leave the top and bottom end of the spring where you connect the bellow too and just cut the old one off which i did and to grease up the new bellows ends with green soap so you can slide it over the top and bottom and when you put the pressure back on it should pop right back in place .
I'll see what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
But you should have a full pin on the top so its safe. I would CAREFULLY take a sawzall to it before taking the bellow off. just my .02
Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well eric ,i agree that there should be a full pin on top but i wouldn't know how to get a sawzall on the backside of the top airbag to saw off the extruding part of the pin becauase it's a very tight room there /:( .
I also have a proxon (like a dremel)but i can't even reach it with that :roll: ,so i'm (or someone with a great idea) gonna have to be real creative to get that blasted pin out.
Etienne.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I replaced the rear springs on my -96 RR today. All four (2+2) R-clips were heavily corroded making it impossible to pull them out without destroying them. I managed to break the lower pins, using a self-adjusting locking pliers (such as http://www.lockjawpliers.com), from both sides just where they enter the springs "D-shaped" mounting protrusions. As for the top clips I found access limited to just one (the outer) side but learnt that the spring still could be pulled/jerked out with the back part of the pin still in it. Be aware of that the spring won´t just "drop out" as described in the Rangerovers.net repair-details-section. You probably will have to bend it loose first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a long flat splitting chesil and after removing the air line, I use the chesil to cut the top of the spring with the clip in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts