RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm about to remove the engine from my Rangey. One of the bolt heads has rounded which fix the drive plate to the torque converter. A mate said it's no problem removing the engine with the torque inverter still attached. Anyone any experience with this?

Thanks

Simon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
it'll come out with engine ok, but then about 3 litres of atf will flood out of it.

also a pain to refit it (well was on my Classic) - doesn't just drop into the box very easily.

if at all possible, i'd try and leave in situ if you can.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Should not be a problem when pulling the engine out, but do not attempt to refit with the converter still on the flywheel.

Also, look closely at your pump seal after removal to check and make sure you did not boog up the seal on the pump while wrestling out the engine.

Anyone that has refitted an engine to a trans with the converter still attached to the flywheel without damaging anything should play the lottery, becuase they are the luckiest man on earth. :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
yes, i did mean that convertor needs to be removed from the engine before refitting to the box - but was still tricky even then to engage (had to do lots of spinning to get internal components to align before it slips in).

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
I found the irwin to be a complete waste of money. I could never get a good enough bite to remove the bolts I have tried with that set. However for $10 I picked up a "gator grip". It looks like a spark plug socket but is filles with spring loaded pins. The pins form around the rounded bolt head and zip them right out. :thumb: It was even strong enough to pull a rounded head bolt with over 300K miles on it when other socket items had just split or rounded.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=L2

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it will have to come out with the engine.

Only concern I have is when I lift the engine slightly to get the engine bracket off the mount studs (so I can move the engine forward) will the bellhousing/gearbox and torque converter move up as one at the same time or could strain be put on the torque converter or splines?

·
Registered
52 Posts
P38Rangey said:
Looks like it will have to come out with the engine.

Only concern I have is when I lift the engine slightly to get the engine bracket off the mount studs (so I can move the engine forward) will the bellhousing/gearbox and torque converter move up as one at the same time or could strain be put on the torque converter or splines?
jack the front of the gearbox up at the same time as lifting the engine off the mounts - then when you pull it forward the gearbox stays at the correct angle and no strain - should come out fine.

they are big lumps when they come out though - here's one i did on my classic, but when i did it again i left the TC in the gearbox.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts