RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have anyone see why can´t I remove the mud shields from the wheels? Ok, they are there for a reason but the fact is... that It's bad designed... (another one to join to many others.. :clap:well done LR :clap: ) For many times I got rocks/gravel stucked between the shield and the disc because the shield is curved on the lower side and don´t allow that the debris get out... So i'm thinkin' to get them out..

Cheers,

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Are you talking about the arch liners?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
No he's talking about the shields around the inside of the actual disc.. This bit....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Exactly `)

I don´t know if you can see well on the photo, the shield is very close to the disc but there is a gap near to the brake caliper that is big enough to let big debris enter in there and starts to make a lot of noise and scratching discs and shields.. I thinked on 2 solutions: or just pull them out or cut the bottom of the shields in a straight line to take out that curve and let out the garbage :) Of course that this 2nd option will take more time and work loool

Regards,

·
Registered
71 Posts
3rd option.....don't go near 'big debris' :lol:
you know these things were never intended to go off the ashphalt :naughty:

seriously if it's a concern just bend them a little bit at the bottom, problem solved. they are there for a reason.

........tasi

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Odd, with as much mud, gravel and tree bits as I have been in while off road I never get anything stuck in them. :think: In fact they have actually kept a great deal of debris out of the brake system.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For 2 or 3 times I had to take out the rocks with a screwdriver... :? Normally happens when i'm crossing water or very liquid mud..

I think I will get them out and see how it works, one less thing to bother me :D

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Never had problems with the mudguards on the P38a, despite using them offroad.
On the Defender, pebbles and stuff would frequently get stuck between the shield and disc. But then again it was used a lot more and harder off road.
First thing to do when hearing the screetching, was to backup, and hope it would come out. I finally took off the guards when taking the Def to Ladoga last year and can't say I missed them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

that's the problem with the mudguards on the P38... In the Def or any other LR the mud shields are straigth from the top to the bottom, but in the P38 they are bended on the disc and don´t have space enough to let the rocks/gravel come out.

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts