RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many threads on these forums about people wanting ways to fix scuffs and gouges or fix the color of the faxed foam. I even thought about putting some of that roll on pickup truck bed liner stuff. I can't really say that I like any of the solutions and I really don't even like the foam that comes on there from the factory.

So, my question is. Has anyone just stripped that foam off? I assume there is a metal frame of some sort under there so an not take that ugly foam off and then it would look like a normal brush guard, like tubular steel aftermarket ones that you would normally buy? If it is metal under there it would be easy enough to paint or even powdercoat I would think. Anyone have any experience with this?

The factory one on one of my p38's is junk, I have a spare in the garage and the foam isn't the worst ever but it's not perfect either. I sure don't want to cut all that foam off and then something not be what I expected and ill be pissed for ruining a pretty good factory brush guard.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might have

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
615 Posts
I am interested in this also as I can get a brush guard for cheap but the only catch is the owner says the foam is rotted from the sun. Subscribed!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
I'm thinking Terminator on this one. It's probably going to be pretty ugly under the foam.

borg-terminator1.jpg

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
615 Posts
Lol was thinking the same! Any way of refurbishing the foam?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
353 Posts
I cut the foam off a rusted light gaurd. Believe you me, they do not look good at all under the foam. I think it's on my scrap pile still, but that is still under a couple feet of snow, I can take pics once it finally melts.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Truck bed liner is the way to go.Not the paint on stuff though,you wanna get the spray in stuff.I used it on a really banged up pair of running boards that i found in a scrap yard 6 months ago and the truck bed liner brought them up good as new.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My only problem with bed liner is it fades overtime. I had to touch mine up with a fresh coat once a year. And if you get any mud on it, it shows those stains forever.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
My only problem with bed liner is it fades overtime. I had to touch mine up with a fresh coat once a year. And if you get any mud on it, it shows those stains forever.
I don't agree with you on the mud stains part.I've had my running boards on my rig 6 months with a lot of traffic on those running boards (I have to travel down a dirt trail everyday to get to where I live) and they're as good as the day I sprayed them and have no stains whatsoever.Then again I put 6 heavy coats of it on them and the spray I used was a very thick consistency which sprayed on with a sandpaper like finish.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think the mud I'm in is probably different. We have a lot of Bentonite and Alkali in the soil where I usually go 4 wheeling. That soil is very acidic.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I think the mud I'm in is probably different. We have a lot of Bentonite and Alkali in the soil where I usually go 4 wheeling. That soil is very acidic.
Oh ok that makes sense.The mud here is pretty much wet sand (when it rains at all) but then again your brush guard would get more of a doing than my running boards too I'm sure.I was hesitant about using truck bed liner on them but seen as I cut the running boards off a scrap yard P38 and got them for a song I decided to go for it and they're waaaayyyyyy better than they were before.
BEFORE:
photo 1(1) - Copy.jpg
AFTER:
photo 3(3).jpg

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
73 Posts
Oh ok that makes sense.The mud here is pretty much wet sand (when it rains at all) but then again your brush guard would get more of a doing than my running boards too I'm sure.I was hesitant about using truck bed liner on them but seen as I cut the running boards off a scrap yard P38 and got them for a song I decided to go for it and they're waaaayyyyyy better than they were before.

BEFORE:
View attachment 15873
AFTER:
View attachment 15874
Wow that's a big difference -- So you sprayed this truck bed liner stuff straight onto the "rubberized" running boards ?? -- I thought it needed metal to bond to

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Wow that's a big difference -- So you sprayed this truck bed liner stuff straight onto the "rubberized" running boards ?? -- I thought it needed metal to bond to
The running boards had to be cleaned first ( and I mean CLEANED!!! took 2 days of scrubbing to get that mould and crap off).
Well RRtoadhall said the same thing as you've just said but I used "Dupli-color Truck bed coating" and its designed for "inner fenders,tail gate,bed rails,truck bed & running boards" or so it said on the spray can lol.
I gave each heavy coat 30-45 mins in the Florida heat before applying another and even after 6 months they're perfect.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
73 Posts
Good for you -- Glad it worked out Tom -- Seems counter intuitive -- I just resprayed corner of my (white) Front Bumper and used a product specifically aimed at helping paint bond to plastic (admittedly not rubber as you have) it seemed to work very well

·
Registered
110 Posts
FYI,
Alkaki is the opposite of acidic.. still corrosive.. but a base..
also bentonite is very alkaline...

i am far from an expert on rovers.. but soil and chemistry is a different story

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
FYI,

Have I seen you on "Breaking Bad"?. . . .Walter Whitman???

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Im oil and gas. I design piping. I have no need for that earth stuff. LOL

FYI,

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts