RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to reseal the rubber edge of the cowl piece that abuts the windshield. To do this I need to remove the windshield wipers so I can remove the cowl. Has anyone had any luck getting the windshield wiper arms off from the ribbed studs?

I tried backing off the nut on the mounting stud and hitting the nut with a hammer while pulling up on the arm. This started to strip the mounting stud threads. And this was after penetrating oil and heat. The arm is just stuck on the stud.

It almost looks like a small “hub puller“ needs to be employed; however, I have never seen a small one.

Btw, I am doing this because when the factory stick seal fails, the rubber edge will develop a harmonic flapping, that increases with speed, that is horribly annoying. It took me forever to figure out what was causing the “rattling” sound.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
303 Posts
Before pulling the cowl off by releasing the plastic clips you might want to order new clips - they become brittle and break easily (which will result in the cowl flapping loosely).

There is a shop tool for pulling the wiper arms off the spindles (looks like a mix between a battery terminal puller and a small ball joint puller) but usually you can release the arm by using the end of the first hinged section as your point of leverage.

It helps to have the hood/bonnet in the service position while doing this and you may need to stand on a small platform to gain enough leverage to work the passenger side arm up and down, perpendicularly from the windshield.

Do NOT strike the center spindle unless you want to replace the entire mechanism.

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a shop tool for pulling the wiper arms off the spindles (looks like a mix between a battery terminal puller and a small ball joint puller) but usually you can release the arm by using the end.

Rob
Is this a Land Rover tool? Can you please give more details? Maybe a picture? Btw, there was no problem removing the 4 cowl clips. Tho it was funny that one (at least on my vehicle) was different than the other three.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this a Land Rover tool? Can you please give more details? Maybe a picture? Btw, there was no problem removing the 4 cowl clips. Tho it was funny that one (at least on my vehicle) was different than the other three.

Thanks.
Ok, I did find this. Is this the one?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
303 Posts
It looks more like this style - if you look at the arm(s) adjacent to the spindle(s) you'll notice a couple of lips which the each outer side of the tool slide under. Although they're almost always tight, they will release with a tug or two in the correct place (as previously described). The tool is a bit of overkill, IMO, and I've never had to rely on one yet.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts